Dacor 950/Pacer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just accidentally got a reg setup with a Dacor 950 1st stage, a Dacor XL Pacer 2nd and a Sherwood octo. I hear parts for those are going to be difficult to find, but I was hoping to set them up as a backup. Does anyone know of an old parts bin, or generics, or parts from similar regs I could use. The previous owner "just had them serviced and hasn't dived since", but the maintenance tags were still on them, dated 4/2000. I haven't ripped into them yet, but I'm assuming they'll at least need new seats.

From reading the internet, I think my current setup might be at least as good, or better. If it's not, then I'd definitely like to get the Dacor going. I'm currently using a SP Mk10 with dual adjustables.

The scubapro is definitely a superior reg. The old dacor parts have been unavailable for over 10 years. There MIGHT be some left on somebodys repair bench, but they will be at least that old. I wouldn't put a nickle into that reg.

With the old dacors, you'll probably have to do it yourself. McMaster Carr and other online shops are there for your o-ring purchasing pleasure. Get you a strip of epdm and an appropriately sized punch and you'll have your low pressure seats. You can use that epdm to recreate your own first stage diaphragm as well.

(so you're the one who picked these up off of e-bay? I believe I saw this setup listed)

:D

Nah, I got them from a guy on CL. He was selling the setup with a Datamax II, which I was after, and insisted that I take the whole package for the same price. I'm excited to make my own seats. Does anyone know the size off-hand? I have calipers, but I always like verification where available.

I just broke them open: I'm not sure how "just had them serviced and hasn't dived since" ends up with them full of sand. The regs still had the service tag on them though, so either the guy just tossed them in his old bag after getting them back, or the service dude ripped him off (for about $100, according to the tags).

Hopefully the repair guy didn't charge extra for the sand...I hear that stuff is dirt cheap.

Last edited:
Nah, I got them from a guy on CL. He was selling the setup with a Datamax II, which I was after, and insisted that I take the whole package for the same price. I'm excited to make my own seats. Does anyone know the size off-hand? I have calipers, but I always like verification where available.

Then you got a better deal than the ones on ebay sold for.

As for the seat size, measure the one you just removed. That will give you your diameter. Then you can pick up a punch of that size.

Also, I'll look tonight at mine (SP regs) and report back the size. I would imagine that they'll be very similar, if not identical in size.

Do I need a 'special tool' to get the seat out of the Dacor XL Pacer? I tried undoing the screw in the back, but it was somewhat stripped (and is now very stripped) and I think it's just adjusting the lever height anyway. The manual on the frogkick site seems to indicate that I get the poppet out through the input hole after I remove the orifice. Can anyone confirm?

The old Dacor Pacer seats, springs, etc. are accessed from the hose side of the 2nd stage.

First you take the hose off, then you loosen the nut that is on the screw threads where the hose screws on (this should be obvious when you look at it, but it will look like the nut is part of the 2nd stage body).

At this point, you use an allen wrench to unscrew the threaded piece (it screws out of the 2nd stage body in the same direction as the hose screws off).

At the end of the threaded piece is the "knife edge", which presses into the seat. The seat, seat holder, and spring will all now come out AFTER you remove the lever (I actually like the way Dacor did their lever/seat holder more than Scubapro's way, since I can never install it upside down!).

You should be able to remove the seat from the seat holder. If you have a Pacer XLP or XLB, you might not be able to since it is a balanced design with a hole in the seat (I've not tried yet, but I'm about to in the next month or so).

Oh yes, if you have a "Totally Balanced" Pacer, it's not actually balanced. Only (to my knowledge) the XLP's and XLB's were actually balanced 2nd stages.

If you need a manual, you can find one here . It's a little older than your model, but it will work for understanding how they put them together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom