DA Aquamaster Retaining Nut

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

350xfire

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey guys, can you guys point me to where I could find the tool that engages the body castle nut in the DAAM? I am trying to avoid the screwdriver drift method if possible. Also, any other tools to properly service these units? I am a certified tech for the modern regulators with an interest in vintage stuff.

Also, where can I get a banjo fitting for a high psi gauge?
Thanks

Most of the time a large pair of needlenose pliers works for me. Often on a really old barn-fresh reg I have to loosen the nut by tapping with a flat head. Gentle though, I've broken one before.

As for a banjo they go in and out of stock. I think it's a gamble to have new ones machined when there's a demand for only one or two a year (that's a guess.)

Here is the guy

But anyway, from this

full

Then with a sploosh of phosphoric

full

And with the reg on a valve on a tank, got it off and on with an aluminium drift

full

sometimes all you need is a good swift crack
this one needed four good and swift bashes
and not one mark on it, from the aluminium

Most of the time a large pair of needlenose pliers works for me. Often on a really old barn-fresh reg I have to loosen the nut by tapping with a flat head. Gentle though, I've broken one before.

Tools for butchery and needlenoses

unfortunately, I believe Herman ( @herman ) has ceased tool fabrication....

It might be worthwhile to reach out to him and see if he has any leftovers to meet your needs....

@350xfire : Where geographically are you? Someone near you might have one to loan/borrow...
I'm in Denton Texas

Using a soft brass or aluminum drift you can usually tap, tap on the retainer ring and it will come free. The big concern is not to hold the can to torque against regardless of the tool used. There is a little locating tab on the brass bottom can that can be easily sheared off if too much torque is used to remove or install if holding the can. You must hold the body, not the can.

I am just up the road from you. If you want, you can send me the thing and I will take it apart for you using the correct tool, clean the can of verdigris and re-install the body into the can.

I acquired my tool from Herman over dinner in Destin, Florida during a vintage rally. It is just a piece of pipe with the mating tabs milled into it to engage the body retaining nut. A desperate soul could make one with a hack saw and a file. A file is slow, but it can do just about anything :wink:.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom