D70, IKELITE and lenses feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Got my IKE housing yesterday, it is very nice and looks well made.

however there is a BUT!

for those of you looking at getting a D70, and a IKE housing, you have to choose your lenses carefully.

In fact it would be a good idea if IKE did a full list of lenses that do fit in the ports, because my Sigma EX f2.8 105mm Macro sure as hell doesn't fit in the port!

so now i am faced with either sending back the port and not doing macro until i can save up to buy another lenses that does fit in a port or just forget about macro all together as i can't afford £600 on the Nikon 105mm

it would be nie to know which lenses can fit before you go and buy them and waste even more money.

perhaps we should get our own compatability list going and save the others from suffering as well.

Clive

did you not find this on the Ikelite site?

Port / Lens Chart

The Sigma 105mm isn't listed BTW, although the 50mm is, bummer!

Clive,

There are two pages on the Ikelite site that give you ALL the information you will ever need.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2port_nikon.html - Nikon dSLR Port Charts

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/slrport.html - Port information for lenses not listed

Between those two pages you can figure out exactly what port you need for what lens - even if it is not listed (you can measure max lens length - as long as it is less than 6.1" (15.5cm) it will fit behind a #5505.58 flat port unless it is too fat for the port opening (which shouldn't be an issue in an Ike dSLR housing).

Which flat port did you get?

M

Sorry to hear that you can't test your new toy just yet. Does Ike have ports/lens lists for the more established cameras? If so, I'd expect him to come up with a more detailed list as he and his customers work out all the issues with the housing and ports.

Just wondering if the 600 pounds is the UK price, b/c if you order it online from the States you should be able to get it for $700 or so, a considerable savings plus the favorable exchange rate. If you add up the price of the Sigma 105 and the price plus waiting time for a new port, it must might be worth it to you to sell the Sigma and buy the Nikon for use with your existing port. I've got the Nikon 105 and it's my favorite lens underwater. It's very sharp at f/16-22. I can't compare it to other 105 lenses b/c haven't had the chance to test others.

"Does Ike have ports/lens lists for the more established cameras?"

Well, looks like Chippy and Marriard answered my question as I was typing my first reply!

Marriard:
Clive,

There are two pages on the Ikelite site that give you ALL the information you will ever need.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/2port_nikon.html - Nikon dSLR Port Charts

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/slrport.html - Port information for lenses not listed

Between those two pages you can figure out exactly what port you need for what lens - even if it is not listed (you can measure max lens length - as long as it is less than 6.1" (15.5cm) it will fit behind a #5505.58 flat port unless it is too flat (which shouldn't be an issue in an Ike dSLR housing).

Which flat port did you get?

M

its not a case of it too long for the port i measured it and told the shop how short and long it was, it is too fat to fit in the port.

the shop never said anything about being too fat :-(

clive francis:
its not a case of it too long for the port i measured it and told the shop how short and long it was, it is too fat to fit in the port.

the shop never said anything about being too fat :-(

looks like i am going to have to get a tamron then, hopefully i will get close to what i paid for the sigma on ebay, or see what the shop says about a px, but i doubt they will give much.

Welcome to the (other) darkside. You have to be careful with the choices of lenses you are going to use as not every lens is supported by the housing manufacturer.
Good luck with your search. I did not realize the Nikon 105mm is that expensive. Almost as much as the 70-180 macro zoom.

clive francis:
looks like i am going to have to get a tamron then, hopefully i will get close to what i paid for the sigma on ebay, or see what the shop says about a px, but i doubt they will give much.

Clive

I bought a 60mm Macro from the U.S. for £190 (at the time), used it for 4 months and decided the 105mm would suit my needs better. I sold the 60mm on Ebay for £280!!! :11:

I also bought my 105mm on Ebay, from one of the Hong Kong dealers. It was £356 incl postage!

As Marriard said, the Nikkors are really sharp, although I'm a bit of a Sigma fan too - my Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 is probably the sharpest lens I own!

Back
Top Bottom