D70 Housing and strobe question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No Fish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am doing more homework along selection of a housing for my new D70. I already have a Nikonos V setup with two SB105's. Here is the question. Should I try to keep the strobes (& the rest of the set-up for that matter) and select a housing to suit or is it better to get different strobes completely. I would like to keep my V a little longer, I like the 20mm lens.

Any Ideas?

I,personally, would get new strobes. The newer "digital" strobes have so many more settings than the 105's. If you are looking at Ikelite housings, look at their strobes too. If you are looking at any other housings, look at the Inon Z220 strobes.

Once you use your D70 u/w, your Nikonos will get awfully dusty!

Of course, this is merely my opinion :) !

HTH,
Dave

Yeah,
Agree... get the new strobes and stepup... although more expensive, obviously, but they you have 2 complete systems...
I still have my Niknas V with single SB105, use SB105 (now 3) for my 4040 and when I get a new system will get the strobes that fit that one.. Inons... but I now have 3 complete systems that I don't have to keep swapping around.. I loan the others out to my dive buddy it they show an interest... or a newbie I'm dving with...

So I'd keep the systems fulll and complete... get the new stobes to match the new set up... old works with old, new works with new... and then you have a backup...

On the other hand there is no reason you can't use the 105's. They are a good strong strobe, they are pretty flexible in settings, and you are familiar with them. Plus you'll save $1000+ by not buying two new strobes.

Steve B

Now, I wonder how much I can sell my old camera on ebay.......

I appreciate this help, and am still a bit undecided, but I probably will sell off the old stuff.

Any recommendations on a vendor? I am really from the US, so i can mail order there. I don't have to buy in Canada.

No Fish:
Now, I wonder how much I can sell my old camera on ebay.......

I appreciate this help, and am still a bit undecided, but I probably will sell off the old stuff.

Any recommendations on a vendor? I am really from the US, so i can mail order there. I don't have to buy in Canada.

Good luck selling the Nikonos. I have seen them going for less & less on Ebay the past year. There are still some die-hards around (right Bob !) but fewer & fewer each day.

When you are ready to buy, I stronglt recommend Ryan at Reef Photo & Video Great prices, great service and he won't try to sell you something that you don't want or need.

HTH,
Dave

dbh:
Good luck selling the Nikonos. I have seen them going for less & less on Ebay the past year. There are still some die-hards around (right Bob !) but fewer & fewer each day.

When you are ready to buy, I stronglt recommend Ryan at Reef Photo & Video Great prices, great service and he won't try to sell you something that you don't want or need.

HTH,
Dave

I'll give it a look....... I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom