D5 or Teric - convince me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on the Teric. I picked it up a few months after it came out two years ago. Screens are intuitive and I was able to navigate quickly and easily before even reading the manual. Their customer service is amazing and have a quick turnaround on any issues. It's easy to customize the bands to whatever color or a NATO band.

Shearwater make the ultimate dive computer. You will never grow out a shearwater no matter where you take your diving. Recreational, Technical, Rebreather...shearwater just does it all. That for me is enough reason to always choose shearwater.

A good friend of mine flooded/crushed his Shearwater due to extreme depth so I would say that's not 100% true :wink:

Albiet that was around 700-800ft if I remember correctly, so a more extreme example.

A good friend of mine flooded/crushed his Shearwater due to extreme depth so I would say that's not 100% true :wink:

Albiet that was around 700-800ft if I remember correctly, so a more extreme example.

Which model?

Many people don’t realize the Perdix is not rated for as deep as a Petrel is.

I wanted to add one note regarding the relative NDLs provided by Suunto wrist/watch computers vs the Teric and that is that the Teric, at the Medium NDL setting (as in medium conservative, with Low being less conservative/more aggressive and High being more conservative/less aggressive) is significantly more conservative and provides less NDL time than the Suuntos.

I owned both a D4i and the Teric and did a side by side comparison in dive planning mode and was really surprised by this. For example, using 21% (air) setting for gas:
  • at 60 feet the Suunto NDL was 50 mins vs 43 for the Teric
  • at 90, Suunto 21 vs 17 Teric
  • at 100, Suunto 17 vs 14 Teric
Starting at 110ft, the difference leveled off to 1 minute or even.

With 32% as the gas setting, the same was true:
  • at 60 feet the Suunto NDL was 78 mins vs 76 for the Teric
  • at 90ft, Suunto 33 vs 28 Teric
  • at 100, Suunto 27 vs 22 Teric
  • at 120, Suunto 17 vs 10 Teric
I wore both watches while diving pre-COVID, and I found that during repetitive diving the differences were even greater. The D4i routinely gave me substantially more NDL time than the Teric and the Teric even went into deco a couple of times when the D4i still had 5 or more minutes of NDL left.

This reviewer noted this fact in his lengthy comparison of the D5 vs the Teric vs a couple of other wrist computers, here is the link
You can see for yourself in the video at around the 5:00 mark the D5 is showing 24 minutes of NDL while the Teric shows 17. I don't know what setting the reviewer had the Teric on though.

Now, obviously, many (maybe most?) Teric users are either tech or other highly skilled divers who set their own gradient factor, etc. But I am not one of those, and I did not like the idea of tinkering with this, especially since everyone says Suunto is one of the most conservative algos out there.

So I kept my D4i and sold the Teric and, when the time comes, I will probably upgrade to the D5.

Just FWIW.

I wanted to add one note regarding the relative NDLs provided by Suunto wrist/watch computers vs the Teric and that is that the Teric, at the Medium NDL setting (as in medium conservative, with Low being less conservative/more aggressive and High being more conservative/less aggressive) is significantly more conservative and provides less NDL time than the Suuntos.

I owned both a D4i and the Teric and did a side by side comparison in dive planning mode and was really surprised by this. For example, using 21% (air) setting for gas:

I wore both watches while diving pre-COVID, and I found that during repetitive diving the differences were even greater. The D4i routinely gave me substantially more NDL time than the Teric and the Teric even went into deco a couple of times when the D4i still had 5 or more minutes of NDL left.

This reviewer noted this fact in his lengthy comparison of the D5 vs the Teric vs a couple of other wrist computers, here is the link
You can see for yourself in the video at around the 5:00 mark the D5 is showing 24 minutes of NDL while the Teric shows 17. I don't know what setting the reviewer had the Teric on though.

Now, obviously, many (maybe most?) Teric users are either tech or other highly skilled divers who set their own gradient factor, etc. But I am not one of those, and I did not like the idea of tinkering with this, especially since everyone says Suunto is one of the most conservative algos out there.

So I kept my D4i and sold the Teric and, when the time comes, I will probably upgrade to the D5.

Just FWIW.
Had to re-read the post after seeing 120 with 32%

Glad it was all done in the planning mode!

Just FWIW.

Your results are impossible, as it's a well known fact that all Suunto computers are irrationally conservative and couldn't possibly give a longer NDL time than a Shearwater under any circumstances, despite hard evidence to the contrary here.

Just FWIW.

You compared the Teric on Medium conservatism to a D4i and sold the Teric because it gave you less NDL?? You know that Medium is SUPPOSED to give you less NDL that, for example, Conservatism set to Low, right?

Hi!

Since we've been on lockdown, I've got the bug to buy a new computer. Currently using a D4i which I have been (mostly) happy with and a Vyper Air as a backup in a boot with my SPG. I say 'mostly happy' because I love wrist AI but the lack of being rechargeable has let me down more than once. Died on a trip once even though the battery check said it was OK two weeks before the trip and required a rush replacement before another trip. The Vyper Air is my backup because I got it cheap with a free (spare) transmitter and they both pair with the same transmitter.

Getting older, the idea of a color screen being more visible is highly attractive and the fact that they are both rechargeable is huge.

Whatever I do, I'll likely pass the D4i/vyper combo to my daughter as she's familiar with Suunto - currently diving with a Cobra AI.

So.... Since the D5 and Teric both require a new transmitter, which would you choose? I'll likely stuff a Zoop or a Puck into the console with my SPG.

All thoughts welcome - even from Suunto and Shearwater fanboys.

Thank You!
Excerpt, from another Post.
He advice to me........Shearwater Perdix.
It is a "Top Shelf." Decompression, Mixed Gas Computer. He specifically said NOT to buy the Air Integrated. (It could propose an unwanted failure, different scenarios were discussed.)
I've had no less than 10 Technical Divers say the same thing.
(Some may disagree.)
I bought 2 of them for "Redundancy."
(One on each wrist.)
90% of my dives are solo.
They have different models and are definitely something to consider.
The have phenomenal customer service.
I had a problem/question last year, and when I called they put me on the phone with the guy that wrote the "Code." for this particular unit. REALLY?????????????????
You'd be hard pressed to get customer service like that, elsewhere.
I hope that is helpful?
Cheers.
View media item 209695

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom