D4i Disappointing Battery Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I bought a new D4i in November of 2013. I first dove with it in December of 2013

The battery died in October of 2015 after 119 dives and less than two years of use.

I had the battery replaced by Dive Supply, the authorized Suunto service center here in Thailand. The cost was about US$75.00

The second battery died in January of 2017 after only 40 dives and 14 months of use.

That means it cost me almost two US dollars per dive for the battery.

That seems excessive.

Is this poor battery life normal or is there something I'm doing wrong?

$75 to change a D4 battery is absolutely insane. The battery itself is about $2 and you can swap it yourself with a small screwdriver in a few minutes. If you want to be extra thorough and change the o-ring too, that'll be a whopping $9.

The battery itself is about $2 and you can swap it yourself with a small screwdriver in a few minutes. If you want to be extra thorough and change the o-ring too, that'll be a whopping $9.

If you're as clumsy as I am you wouldn't even think about it.

If you're as clumsy as I am you wouldn't even think about it.
In that case you probably need a computer with a truly simple user-replaceable battery. Or a non-clumsy friend. Honestly the life you're quoting is very reasonable for the computer. A couple of years and 100+ dives is not bad.

A couple of years and 100+ dives is not bad.

I agree, but one year and 40 dives is not acceptable.

Any suggestions for a similarly priced computer on which a 67 year old with bad eyes and shaking hands could easily replace the battery?

I agree, but one year and 40 dives is not acceptable.

I got the D4i back from the Suunto service center (Dive Supply). They included the old o-ring and battery. The battery voltage is still 3.3. Now I'm wondering if it really needed replacing.

I got the D4i back from the Suunto service center (Dive Supply). They included the old o-ring and battery. The battery voltage is still 3.3. Now I'm wondering if it really needed replacing.

You can't accurately measure remaining battery power with a voltmeter. It has to be under load to properly test.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom