D4i battery lifetime issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear Suunto,

I couldn't find your email on website so I decided to contact you via SB. I have problem about my wife's d4i. I changed battery for her d4i in March 2017 and now (11 months), it show low battery again. I was very surprised since it had less than 30 dives since last change (no use in real life, just for diving only). I went to dealer this afternoon. They said it is normal for d4i to have around 1 year battery lifetime which is much less than your statement on website (1.5 year for 100 dive/year or 2 year in time mode) so I am quited disappointed wih his answer. He also said that it was due to different battery quality from Suunto manufacturer so it will not last 2 years as stated. This raised questions about quality of battery changed for me and quality control for sourcing parts to customers. Do all your parts need to be qualified products or any proper procedure to ensure that there will be no unqualified parts to service Suunto customer? Or there is no quality control especially battery sourcing which must be changed from time to time. I will not surprise for his answer if he was not autorised dealer. Is it really normal for this particular model to have 1 year battery life? My d4i is around 3-4 years old with about 100-120 dives On it (if I remember correctly), never failed on the flloor or never been repaired. I don't think the dive computer product will normally degraded that quick especially for my case with low usage.. How can you help for my case?

Best regards,
Bom

Hi Bom
When I had my D4i the original battery lasted just under 2 years.. however I changed the battery without checking closely and the next one barely lasted a year!
Sony batteries made in Japan (not the more common Indonesia) seem to be the best quality and last longest. Need to be careful the new battery is not slightly thicker than the old one which may cause cover o-ring sealing issues.

Reactions: Bom
I've had horrible problems with my D4i. When I first got it the memory chip failed and the computer had to be replaced under warranty. Battery life is awful. I've never gotten as much as two years. During a dive last year the original strap disintegrated while underwater. Crazy.

After less than two years and just over 60 dives the battery is low again. Rather than spend the US$100 that it costs to replace here in Thailand, I've decided to buy a new computer. I will get one that:
  • Is not ON all the time
  • Has a user-replaceable battery
  • Is not made by Suunto
(Please don't suggest that I replace the battery myself. I'm not competent to attempt such a thing. Even the dive shop I use won't do replacement themselves and sends them in to the service center.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom