D400 orifice: plastic or metal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is there any way to tell if the orifice of a D400 is plastic or metal without disassembling the regulator? I recently picked up a nice one on Ebay and was just wondering. Thanks.

Thanks, runsongas, referencing post #15 and post #21 from your link it looks like my D400 was manufactured in 1997 with a metal orifice. Good news as long as it has remained original.

Nope, no way to tell. The Delrin orifice was an "upgrade" for the D400 that could be installed after purchase.

One other thing: my D400 rattles when I shake it or shift orientation. Not like something is uncontrolled inside. More like something is moving between limits. Is this normal?

Maybe. The lever on the D-series has quite a bit of play. That said, it should sit right behind the diaphragm when both pressurized and unpressurized. Maybe 1/16". If it's clanking more than that, the hex screw needs a touch. Problem is, that's one of the subtler parts of tuning the D's. It's not well covered in the manual.
If it rattles more, not necessarily a problem if you get great flow when you squeeze the purge hard. But if the lever is really low, then most of the diaphragm travel is wasted before the lever engages the poppet and flow will be poorer. In the worst case scenario, the lever can be so loose that it can actually fall out when unpressurized.
Basically, I'm not helping you. It may or may not be significant, but if your air flow is good on purging, I would worry less.

Maybe. The lever on the D-series has quite a bit of play. That said, it should sit right behind the diaphragm when both pressurized and unpressurized. Maybe 1/16". If it's clanking more than that, the hex screw needs a touch. Problem is, that's one of the subtler parts of tuning the D's. It's not well covered in the manual.
If it rattles more, not necessarily a problem if you get great flow when you squeeze the purge hard. But if the lever is really low, then most of the diaphragm travel is wasted before the lever engages the poppet and flow will be poorer. In the worst case scenario, the lever can be so loose that it can actually fall out when unpressurized.
Basically, I'm not helping you. It may or may not be significant, but if your air flow is good on purging, I would worry less.
That's probably it. The diaphragm seems to be acting like a speaker cone by the tone of it. I don't have a first stage I can mount it to at the moment, but I'll give it a good dry workout when I can. I appreciate your advise on this, rsingler. :)

The D400 is known to have a little bit of lever rattle when on air. The D300/D350 does not have lever rattle, whether on air or not.

Back
Top Bottom