D1 Hybrid dry suit information requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJMike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking for my first dry suit and am considering the D1 hybrid by Tusa. My first question is, why is it called a "hybrid"? Usually that means that it's a combination of things, but I haven't found anything online that substantiates this.

Also, are the gloves and boots integrated?, i.e. dry?

Any comments, dive reports, customer service experiences, anything at all is greatly appreciated. The suit looks good and I'm hoping to confirm that with your reports!

One other thing, I don't want to p*ss anyone off :D but I have to have a pee valve...so any comments on that will be greatly appreciated!

HI Mike-
Actually, the D1 Hybrid drysuit is made by Waterproof. You can check out a few videos regarding the D1 Hybrid on the Waterproof USA youtube channel here on the right side tab.
Also, the D1 product information is available online here and the datasheet here. Dryboots are attached, there is no dry glove system at this time available from Waterproof - this option is expceted to be available in mid-2012.

In regards to the pee valve, yes one could be installed by a properly trained service facility, it is not a factory installed option at this time.

The D1 is a hybrid as it incorporates suit and undergarments in one.

Good post NJMIKE. I've been all over the internet trying to find user reports on the Hybrid. Not much out there. Though I have found a couple reviews (mostly positive), if I'm going to sink $3000 into a piece of gear, I need to make damn sure it's going to be around for awhile.

Will be interesting to see what responses you receive.

Thanks for all the replies.

Tusa, if I puchased a D1 Hybrid now, and the dry glove option was available next year, would I be able add it to the suit I just bought, or would it only be an option on new suits purchased AFTER the option was available?

Jill Heinerth has been wearing the D1 for several months now and has spent hundreds of hours u/w testing and using the suit on her explorations. You can see an unsolicited video review by Jill here.

The D1 has Waterproof's oval wrist ring system for the ISS (Integrated Silicone Seals), the dry glove system will be designed to use with these oval rings. The dry glove and ring will be offered as an additional option for all of the suits once it comes to market. Also, please note there is a Waterproof forum, so kindly post any Waterproof related questions there, thanks.

Tusa, once again, thanks. Knowing that the dry gloves will work with the existing wrist ring system brings me one step closer to purchasing the suit. (It would be perfect if it had a front zipper!)

The Jill video was also informative, thanks for that link.

I will move my questions and discussion over to the forum, too. But thanks for all YOUR help here!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Got to try one on last week, i'll say this much, if I was buying a drysuit today this is the one I would be buying. Jill heinerth really likes hers from what i hear and there is some info on her site 'rebreatherpro'. I believe she even has some video. The new dryglove system was demoed at dema by sitech, the D1 comes with silicone seals in the oval rings so the normal ring systems wouldn't work, you would have to wait for the new system, or use the drygloves that have a seal on them.

FWADIVER...okay, are you agreeing or disagreeing with Tusa? I understood her to say that yes, when the integrated dry gloves come out in 2012, that it will be possible to use them with existing D1 suits. I'm not quite sure what you were saying, sorry.

I want integrated gloves. I can wait till next year since that's my next dive season anyway. But if I buy a D1 next week, and the integrated glove system that comes out next year will NOT work with the D1, then that's a major problem for me.

I appreciate your comments! Can you clear up my understanding?

Tusa, feel free to jump in. I'm hoping to try one on this Friday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom