D-510/PT-009 pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Law5Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have this setup. bought the camera a year or more ago (open box special from Best Buy). This camera had solid reviews ( Bought the housing from japan-direct.com. Last month, did 2 trips at took along my camera. I need to get the strobe, I know. These are the first pictures... so go easy on me. Used Microsoft Photo Editor to help with the colors.

Local Gulf Dive on Masthead Ledge off Clearwater, FL - 50ft max dive, 20ft viz:
http://community.webshots.com/album/79798083OhIvep

Trip to Key Largo - Molasses Reef - 30ft max dive, 60ft viz:
http://community.webshots.com/album/83836383rUGePa

Observations....
No leaks, camera still works. PT-009 works fine. All the buttons easy enough to use.

I am not too sure on the zoom. Seems that it picked up lots of backstatter. Sometimes it seemed as though it was trying to focus on the little specks. Perhaps it was the lust a lack of a strobe because the flash from the camera was reflecting right back into the lens. Anyway, pics seem to come out better with no zoom.

It was great just being able to snap away...not really caring too much about TRYING to get the perfect picture. Head-less, tail-less, out of focus, too much backscatter ... not a worry... just delete 'em!

Questions... does the red filter lens help much? I am thinking about getting the Sea & Sea YS-25DX Kit, is this a good choice?

Comments on the photos would be most helpful. Go easy on me.. just got started. Thanks!!

The first album just needs a strobe and to get closer. The Key Largo album has color, decent sand exposures, just a tad over exposed. I'd run them through Photoshop Elements to darken and sharpen just a tad. A red filter would have ruined them...turning them an overall pink.

If you're using a filter, you have to make exposure adjustments to allow for the interferance of the filter.

I'd save that money and put it on a good strobe. Follow a few simple rules like...get close, Get Close then GET CLOSER!

Exactly what Dee said. And ditch Microsoft Photo Editor - get Adobe Elements or Photoshop.
I am thinking about getting the Sea & Sea YS-25DX Kit, is this a good choice?
It'll be better than no strobe but the YS90DX is recommended.

Your original pic:
fb7b3ef6.jpg

30secs with Photoshop:

fb7b3efe.jpg

If you can't see the image click here:

Dee and ReyeR,

Thanks for the advice...

YS-90DX Lighting Package - This includes the strobe, the fiber optic sync cord (#58030), the multi stay set (#21120), the sea arm bracket shoe (#20100), and flexible light arm (#29070). $650 + $9.51 s&h = $659.51 from Teptronics.com

YS-25DX Lighting - This includes the strobe, the fiber optic sync cord (16990), the DX stay (#21130), and the DX arm (#21140) $471 + 9.19 S&H = $480.19 from Teptronics.com

$179.32 difference between the two kits... is the 90 REALLY worth the extra $$? Anyplace you know with a better price?

And.. I can understand kinda about not needing a underwater correcting filter. Hmm... why do they sell those pink lens masks? Do they really work? Wouldn't this be the same thing... except for the camera? Anyway... I found a sea and sea underwater filter for $90 from leisurepro... seems kinda high for a pink piece of plastic?? oh well... Seems that that $90 could be better spent on photoshop elements anyway.

Speaking of spending money... what kind of case do you recommend?

As for Photo Editor... lol... hey.. its free... comes with WindowsXp.

Thanks again....
Bill

Law5Guy once bubbled...
Dee and ReyeR,

Thanks for the advice...

YS-90DX Lighting Package - This includes the strobe, the fiber optic sync cord (#58030), the multi stay set (#21120), the sea arm bracket shoe (#20100), and flexible light arm (#29070). $650 + $9.51 s&h = $659.51 from Teptronics.com

YS-25DX Lighting - This includes the strobe, the fiber optic sync cord (16990), the DX stay (#21130), and the DX arm (#21140) $471 + 9.19 S&H = $480.19 from Teptronics.com

$179.32 difference between the two kits... is the 90 REALLY worth the extra $$? Anyplace you know with a better price?

And.. I can understand kinda about not needing a underwater correcting filter. Hmm... why do they sell those pink lens masks? Do they really work? Wouldn't this be the same thing... except for the camera? Anyway... I found a sea and sea underwater filter for $90 from leisurepro... seems kinda high for a pink piece of plastic?? oh well... Seems that that $90 could be better spent on photoshop elements anyway.

Speaking of spending money... what kind of case do you recommend?

As for Photo Editor... lol... hey.. its free... comes with WindowsXp.

Thanks again....
Bill

Yes...the YS90DX is worth the extra $$. It's more strobe than the DX25.

As for filters....yes, I do have a SeaVision color correcting mask, that's why I say your whole photo will have a pink cast to it. Unless the sky really is lavendar! It corrects color in that the reds/oranges a visible for deeper depths but not that much farther.

Some wide angle shots outside the reach of a strobe and in shallow depths can benefit from a filter. But that doesn't mean you need one to take good photos. If you think you need one, by all means buy one. I can only give you my opinion, which is underwater color correcting filters are not necessary.

I think the problem lies in the advice given about the use of filters rather than the use of the filters itself. The general impression is that filters are a quick, inexpensive and easy solution to getting more 'red' back into your pics UW. If that's what you're looking for then, as Dee correctly pointed out, you're going to be disappointed. After a misguided foray into filters myself I took some time to read up and find more information about them. The conclusion I've formed is that there is a place for filters in UW photography, but not as a quick-fix solution. The correct use of filters is an art itself, harder than most think, needs an in-depth understanding of light and certainly worth experimenting with (which is what I intend to do at some point). Best left till you're a more advanced photographer. Just my 2c.

On a 'lighter' note: the YS90DX is possibly the best solution on a price/result basis. An equivalent and similarly priced strobe is Ike's DS50 with a manual controller. It's similar in power and coverage, small and the output controls can be mounted near the housing instead of them being on the strobe head.

Thanks ReyeR...that's exactly what I've been trying to say! It always sounds like a quick fix to get perfect photos and there just is no such thing.

Dee and ReyeR,

Thanks so much for the info... Looks like the 90 is what I need to get, then. I am sure once I have it, I will have a ton more questions.... like... what is the setting that will get me though 90% of the pics. How about the fexible arm... where to 'flex' it for different shots, ect. lol oh well.

Thanks again...
Bill

LOL...and we'll have a ton more answers! :D

Back
Top Bottom