Cycling in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sloeber

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
At home I am a full-time cyclist (yes even in the 0 degrees and 6 inches of snow during winter). Is it worthwhile for me to tote along my bicycle for a 6 month stay in Phuket? Are the roads capable of handling cyclists? Potholes? Crazy drivers? Any cycling shops in the area incase repairs are needed?

TIA

At home I am a full-time cyclist (yes even in the 0 degrees and 6 inches of snow during winter). Is it worthwhile for me to tote along my bicycle for a 6 month stay in Phuket? Are the roads capable of handling cyclists? Potholes? Crazy drivers? Any cycling shops in the area incase repairs are needed?

TIA

Awful traffic,drunks and people who really cant drive but roads are really good in Phuket and if cycle same "lines" as scooter you do just fine(if no1 doesnt drive over you)

I hate driving in Phuket (no insurance even if thay say you do) so I think that kind of sums up how I feel about road safety. Somthing like 6-7 hunderd people die on the roads in Thialand during the week of songkran alone:shakehead:

There are cyclist clubs and routes. If this is a big part of your life at home and you will miss it here, I suggest you bring AT LEAST your pedals and shoes, if not the entire bike. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

Do not forget to take into account the temperature and sun exposure. Some acclimatisation should be expected.

John

There are cyclist clubs and routes. If this is a big part of your life at home and you will miss it here, I suggest you bring AT LEAST your pedals and shoes, if not the entire bike. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

Do you have contact info for this cylcing club you mention? I'd like to get in touch with them and ask them some questions. Thanks.

Do not forget to take into account the temperature and sun exposure. Some acclimatisation should be expected.

John

Well worthy of the thought, but if you've ever been to the corn fields of Illinois in July you already know, weather wise, you'd much rather be *any* tropical island. We are every bit as hot (if not hotter), we are every bit as humid (if not moreso), but our wind is dusty, dry, and hot - sorta like putting a dusty hairdryer to your face. An ocean breeze would be priceless on those July afternoons.

Well worthy of the thought, but if you've ever been to the corn fields of Illinois in July you already know, weather wise, you'd much rather be *any* tropical island. We are every bit as hot (if not hotter), we are every bit as humid (if not moreso), but our wind is dusty, dry, and hot - sorta like putting a dusty hairdryer to your face. An ocean breeze would be priceless on those July afternoons.

:ignore:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom