Cutting the lining out of O'Neill j suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an o'neill j suit that I got for a great price. It fits pretty well but with the sewn in internal vest it does not fit well at all, its way too tight. I really dont want to spend a lot on my first wetsuit because I want to see how much i use it. Would it be okay to cut the vest part out and use it as a reg 7mm wetsuit? What would be the best way to cut it?

IMG_1207.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG

If it is simply a vest inside a wetsuit, I don't see why you couldn't cut it out. If it makes up some structural part of the suit it may be more difficult.

I would simply use a seam ripper (check the dollar store, or a shop with some sewing materials, they're pretty common) to remove the stitching. If its sewn in AND glued, use some MEK (or lacquer/thinner with toluene) on a rag to thin out the glue and use the seam ripper to remove the stitching. Should be easy :)

Yes, it is glued and I am guessing stitched. It looks like if I unstitch that the lower chest will come undone too

One of my older O'Neill 7 mm suits has a similar lining, which covers the torso, to mid-thigh.

It strikes me as being structural; and would destroy the suit upon its removal . . .

IMG_2625.JPG

Mine starts at the waist I am not sure if cutting it above the line would be uncomfortable.

Back
Top Bottom