DIR- Generic Cutting device placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raphus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, i am new to DIR, but i really like the idea and i am tuning my gear towards DIR.

I have a eezycut trilobite on my left hip strap.
And i got a EMT shear, which i am not sure where to place.
I saw some guys with 2 devices on the left hip strap, but i would like to have one on another place.

I really like the idea putting it on the inflator:

But i am pretty sure, its not DIR to have a cutting device atached to the inflator.

Whete would you atach the EMT shears, which is DIR confirm.

Regardless of DIR, having something that long on the inflator seems like it would get in the way when you need to vent from the hose. I would put the larger of the two cutting devices (knife, shears, etc) you have on your left hip and experiment with the trilobite in other locations on the right side of your body or reachable with your other hand.

Places I've put the trilobite
- bungee straps of compass and/or dive computer
- Goodman handle of primary light
(the above two were the most out of the way)
- right hip
- right shoulder strap

You can put the shears on your waist (although a knife is standard). Trilobites work well on the bungies/straps of your gauge/computer.

You can put the shears on your waist (although a knife is standard). Trilobites work well on the bungies/straps of your gauge/computer.
So trilobite + knife is standart?
I guess you mean the shortened steak knife? I thought about that aswell, but i cant find a pouch to out it in safely.

So trilobite + knife is standart?
I guess you mean the shortened steak knife? I thought about that aswell, but i cant find a pouch to out it in safely.
A knife on the waist is standard

Adding a line cutter is an option, z-knife types work pretty well on gauge/computer straps since the cutter plus sheath is usually only ~8cm long which is about as wide as the straps or bungies.

Thabks, but 30 dollar shipping to germany is a bit too much :D
I will look if i find something closer
I would just put the shears on the waist and the trilobite on your wrist and be done with it. Since you already have both.

Unless you are taking GUE-F its not a big deal.

Cutting device (knife or trilobite, doesnt really matter) on the left waist strap, but make sure its toward the center so you can get at it with either hand.

Shears are kinda meh. They're good for leader wire but anything else can be handled by a trilobite or a knife. The rivet tends to rust out on the shears.

I keep a Tekna Xtra Edge on my light's goodman handle as a backup. Sometimes its easier to get at depending on the situation, too.

Id suggest not keeping sharp things next to things that hold air like your BC inflator hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom