customs new rule ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bring jerky everywhere. I just explain that it is buffalo/elk/venison and not specifically banned.

What do you think will happen if one day they find it hidden so well that it could not be just an innocent oversight???
So what do you think happens to premeditated smugglers of prohibited contraband when arrested entering the country?

I bring jerky everywhere. I just explain that it is buffalo/elk/venison and not specifically banned.
Have you been getting away with that? :confused: Even if true, it's not legal. Even for Doug, ignorance of the law is not much of a defense - lucky that you only lost the jerky, and not worse.

It's good to make travel fun and keep it easy, but we are still entering a foreign country with different regulations, restrictions, laws, etc. Not the same as visiting another state.

Reading the information and warnings in advance is a good idea, depending on where you look as there are many sites claiming to give info - varying with how it is rewritten. Our own State Dept really doesn't give much info, and the US Consulate for the Yucatan page Prohibited Items | Consulate of the United States Merida, Mexico seems other than trustworthy as they claim no "electronic devices/equipment (including cell phones)." Yeah, right. Next. :silly:

Referring to the actual Mexican Embassy site listing their custom regulations Mexican Customs: Regulations, Export-Import Procedures of Mexico Customs. I am reminded that we are only allowed one camera each. I guess I really should declare the three I travel with and pay the duties. :idk: Clearly prohibited under federal law...
• Meat
• Vegetables
• Plants
• Fruit
• Flowers
• Guns
• Knives
Gee, I have stopped carrying my pocket knife when I leave the hotel. I guess I shouldn't have one even in the room, or in my possession at any time. :eek:

So anyway, meat is prohibited, regardless of the source, and jerky is simply dried meat. Now you know that you are smuggling, and the country is known to have really uncomfortable jails, your call... :crafty:

So what do you think happens to premeditated smugglers of prohibited contraband when arrested entering the country?

Have you been getting away with that? :confused: Even if true, it's not legal. Even for Doug, ignorance of the law is not much of a defense - lucky that you only lost the jerky, and not worse.

It's good to make travel fun and keep it easy, but we are still entering a foreign country with different regulations, restrictions, laws, etc. Not the same as visiting another state.

Reading the information and warnings in advance is a good idea, depending on where you look as there are many sites claiming to give info - varying with how it is rewritten. Our own State Dept really doesn't give much info, and the US Consulate for the Yucatan page Prohibited Items | Consulate of the United States Merida, Mexico seems other than trustworthy as they claim no "electronic devices/equipment (including cell phones)." Yeah, right. Next. :silly:

Referring to the actual Mexican Embassy site listing their custom regulations Mexican Customs: Regulations, Export-Import Procedures of Mexico Customs. I am reminded that we are only allowed one camera each. I guess I really should declare the three I travel with and pay the duties. :idk: Clearly prohibited under federal law...
• Meat
• Vegetables
• Plants
• Fruit
• Flowers
• Guns
• Knives
Gee, I have stopped carrying my pocket knife when I leave the hotel. I guess I shouldn't have one even in the room, or in my possession at any time. :eek:

So anyway, meat is prohibited, regardless of the source, and jerky is simply dried meat. Now you know that you are smuggling, and the country is known to have really uncomfortable jails, your call... :crafty:

this link makes no sense at all Prohibited Items | Consulate of the United States Merida, Mexico a camera is a electronic device, no liquids, so no suntan oil, no powder to put on my feet :shakehead:

this link makes no sense at all Prohibited Items | Consulate of the United States Merida, Mexico a camera is a electronic device, no liquids, so no suntan oil, no powder to put on my feet :shakehead:
I know it doesn't. I was using it as an example of bad info even from the closest US consulate office.
Mexico's Customs list of allowed items does not agree with the US's list. For example, 2 cameras are OK but not 50 cigars (only 25.)
I'd go with Mexico: Pasajeros - What articles can a passenger introduce as part of his/her personal luggage?
and Pasajeros - What can introduce a passenger like part of their franchise?
My other link was not to a US list was it? Wasn't that a Mexican embassy site?

I like the "three speedboats with or without sails" on yours. :D

Wow, got some old women on board here. Surprise you get on an airplane, much less go diving.
:laughing: Okies don't need no stinkin' rules...!!

Wow, got some old women on board here. Surprise you get on an airplane, much less go diving.

:laughing: Okies don't need no stinkin' rules...!!

The Okies average a post every three months and use one to call you an old woman? Man, that's harsh DD. And perhaps an insult to the adventurous older women we have around here!

I think it is a fact that if you are going to get caught with something, it will be on the Mexican side. How many stories have there been of Americans flying home getting arrested with ammo in their carry on? You know they didn't buy that down on Melgar just for the trip home!

My mom is in her eighties; she flies to Cozumel every year (has done so every year since 1977), and she goes deep sea fishing, snorkeling, bar hopping around the island, and a couple of years ago she went up in a parasail. I submit that that old woman is a role model for us all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom