customs new rule ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougr52

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
we flew into coz on 11/2/11, we always bring snacks to eat on the airplane, but when we went through customs they took my wife's jerky out of her carry on, it was a bag of store bought jerky that had never been opened, they said cannot bring food into the country.. is this a new rule ??? i had a bag of chips in my bag but they did not look in it ....

I don't believe this is a new rule. It depends on what it is you are bringing in.. I know people who brought Beef Jerky down and had to toss it..
What they don't allow you to bring in probably depends on what the custom officer likes to eat.. (kidding) I'm sure it all goes into the trash.. :wink:

From what I understand, you cannot bring in beef in any form. My good Cozumel friend asks me to bring dried chicken snacks for her dogs and not beef because it's not allowed. I have had the treats taken from me twice because they claimed that it's only acceptable if the product was processed in the US.

Mexican Customs (Aduana) and Agriculture (Senasica) determine what is allowable for visitors to bring into the country. The following info has been the same for many years.

CUSTOMS has posted this information in English on its website. Best to start with the Orientation Guide and move on to specific information about air vs. land entry: Mexican Customs Information
BRINGING YOUR DOG or CAT: Pet rabbits, ferrets,hamsters, etc. are covered by additional regulations and special permits required to import those. For dog and cats, each traveler may bring in a maximum of two animals. Required documents: An original and a copy of international health certificates issued by your veterinarian within 72 hours of travel and original vaccination records showing current rabies vaccine administered not less than 30 days before travel.
OTHER ALLOWED IMPORTS In sealed, original packaging with labels where applicable: Bulk smoking tobacco; Leather products except for endangered species; Honey; Roasted coffee; Dried and preserved fruits and cooked vegetables; Dried herbs, mushrooms and truffles; Packaged spices; Dry, cooked, packed and bottled foods from non-risk countries; From the USA & Canada only: Refrigerated or frozen, vacuum-packed pork and processed, vacuum-packed pate, milk and cheese.
OTHER REGULATED IMPORTS (These require special permits from Agriculture Dept.): Poultry and poultry products; Wild plants; Hunt trophies; Hides; Seeds, seedlings, fresh plant parts, etc.; Plants, fresh fruit & vegetables, flowers; Raw cereals; Dairy products*, Bees and bee products other than honey; Fresh, dried, canned, smoked and frozen meat and meat products (sausages, ham, jerky, etc.) from quarantined countries; Flours such as corn meal or any other meal; Veterinary medications and biological products; Agricultural chemicals and raw materials.
OTHER PROHIBITED IMPORTS: Soil; Bales of hay or straw, natural straw and any straw decorations; Homemade food; Bone and meat meals.
*See allowed imports from USA & Canada.

It is written on the form you sign on the plane before getting into the country, the prohibited items. It would be good to read what your agreeing to.

I had a customer try to bring me Steel Cut oats last month and they were confiscated - they thought it was seeds (I guess they do kind of look like seeds). Another customer got through fine with them. It's really just the most natural form of oats before processed into oatmeal and we can't get them here - could still be considered raw cereal I guess. That one is a fine line.

Beef jerky is beef, has always been a clear no-no although many people have successfully "smuggled: it in if their bags weren't checked!

We had our beef jerky taken from our carry on a couple years ago, didn't realize we couldn't bring it in. Now we just hide it, I've got big BCD pockets.

We had our beef jerky taken from our carry on a couple years ago, didn't realize we couldn't bring it in. Now we just hide it, I've got big BCD pockets.

What do you think will happen if one day they find it hidden so well that it could not be just an innocent oversight???

What do you think will happen if one day they find it hidden so well that it could not be just an innocent oversight???

You mean like wrapped up in odor hiding bags taped to your inner thighs? Might be a little late getting to the hotel.. :wink:

You mean like wrapped up in odor hiding bags taped to your inner thighs? Might be a little late getting to the hotel.. :wink:

Can you just imagine the dog and handler getting all excited to find out it was beef jerky? Do you figure: scratch for dope, bite for jerky? Whether you go to the calaboose or not, you WILL get a loco gringo look!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom