Customs Duty on Photo Gear in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelpscape

New
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Charging 19% "customs duty" on underwater housings brought through the airport for a dive trip is common in Los Cabos, and not uncommon further north in Baja. These shakedowns are described on this board, on Undercurrent, and elsewhere. (In about 5 trips to Baja I've managed to argue my way out once in Los Cabos, and had to pay $190 in Loreto).
Has anyone experienced this in Cozumel, or elsewhere on the Gulf coast of Mexico?

I've never experienced these shakedowns in Cozumel or Cancun. The one time I got the red light in Cozumel, during the search through my bag, they were more interested in the prepackaged food items (nuts, protein bars, etc.) than anything else. Nothing was confiscated, but they sure showed an odd interest in the food.

Last time we got the red light in Cozumel, they opened my big suitcase and I had all my gear loaded in my boat bag inside, fully-zipped. The customs officer just said "Scuba?" and I said "Sí" and she just closed the suitcase without unzipping my boat bag.

I believe my son had his TG-6 with housing and strobes, and had no issue.

Never heard of any issues bringing underwater gear here. I saw one time at Cancun airport, customs guy going through someones land camera system ( was a lot of gear). Just dont bring beef jerky. If you do and they find it, rip that package open and eat it before they confiscate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom