custom wetsuit from scubal.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone have any experience ordering a custom suit from scubal.com. I have been looking at them for a couple weeks now and have been considering ordering a 5 mil custom hybrid from them. for 188 bucks plus shipping it sounds pretty good. Please note that this will not be a primary suit. I have a skin, 3/2 shorty, polartech fleece which is equal to a 3mil, and an hd pro os systems dry suit. I want this for those times when the polar is not enough but I really don't need or want the added bulk of the drysuit. I've tried layering the shorty and the polar but they are cut differently in certain areas and just not comfortable together. I could use the thinner undergarments with the drysuit but again sometimes even with the thin garments it's not really practical or desirable to use it. working with students in chillier water I would be much better off with a five.(easier to respond quickly if needed at this point. give me 100 more dives in the drysuit and this may not even be an issue). The reason I'm going custom is because I am having trouble finding a stock size that fits well and I'm looking at scubal cause I don't want to spend 400 or 500 bucks on something that will not be my primary source of protection. so if anyone has experience or knows of another manufacturer that can fill my needs for around the same price let me know. Thanks, Jim
P.S. for those that don't know these are the guys that carry the triple L bc's and stuff.

Hey Jim -

I have one of their stock 7mm units. Seems like a nice suit, keeps me warm on 2 hour dives.

I bought it as a backup for my drysuit.

Custom wetsuits seem to be hit and miss. There are many custom shops around. I would search on google to find the nearest shop and then go there in person to have the measurements taken and whatnot.

There seems to be a lot of room for mistakes and miscommunication with custom suits.

Good luck,
Peter Doege

I am wondering the same. I like the way scubal.com has the measurement page for ordering a custom, but unless you are a contoursionist, how are you going to get some of those measurements. Someone suggested buying one off the rack and getting it cut down, but I don't think that will work. Finding one that will fit my bust & hips is hard enough but having to find somewhere to get 6"+ cut off & all... not sure which is easier tho....

Just a note: You do not do the measurements yourself , it will cause them to be off enough to affect the fit of the suit. ... Wear whatever it is that you wear under a wetsuit, and have someone your friendly with :D do the measuring

DB

Where did you find the pricing? I ask because when I checked they were "about" $155 after shipping for a 5mil suit (no hood) - just curious as I've been considering the 5mil hybrid suit myself. I already own several of their stock suits and am very pleased with them.

Aloha, Tim

Actually I couldn't find the pricing for the custom suits. I assumed you had to imput your measurements in & then they would quote you a price.

On a side note, if you DO cut down an off-the-rack suit, how do you seal the edges. I assume you have to take it somewhere to have this done, but where?

Wow, it is pricey compared to their old stock suit. They increased the price very rapidly over last year..... I remember that 7mm stock wetsuit was only $69 about 10 month ago.......

kidspot:
Where did you find the pricing? I ask because when I checked they were "about" $155 after shipping for a 5mil suit (no hood) - just curious as I've been considering the 5mil hybrid suit myself. I already own several of their stock suits and am very pleased with them.

Aloha, Tim

They are now $81 for a 7mil stock suit - so still not a bad price. I picked up my shorty from them when it was only $24, now they are $32... still pretty good

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom