Custom vs stock wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It may depend on where you like to dive too. If you dive in warm water, a slightly ill fitting suit may not matter too much if it is comfortable. If you dive in cold water then the suit may let water slosh around and make the dive a lot colder and more unpleasant. I went and got a custom suit and I don't ever feel cold water seeping in. My sister used the rental suits in cold California water during her certification class and she got so cold as water moved around that she never finished the class. I would say, if you can afford it, go custom, if not then some of the other options like the hyperstretch may be good. A final option is to get a pretty good fitting suit for a good price and then having it altered to fit her like a custom suit.

Goodknight, My husband had the same problem. Right now, Liquidfit is having a hurricane sale! (20% off--I think). That makes the price of a great custom about the same or less then a Henderson (Plus Carolyn has a "superstretch" neoprene)

For now, we would be diving in Cabo San Lucas in May (shoulderish season). Surface water temperatures from high 60's to mid 70's. A 5mm for down there seems about right (I bought her a resort diver dive; she loved it & wants to get certified on our next visit). I think the attaction of a superstretch neoprene is not so much the fit, but the relative ease of putting it on...

$ is no a real big issue, but I'd like to surprise :wink: I think that if I'm going to guess wrong on the size, I'd better err small? :07:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom