Custom Skirts for a Leaky Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBASailor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When I started diving last year, I had a hard time finding a mask that didn't leak like crazy. I have some pretty heavy laugh lines and i believe that's the main source of my problem. I have since found the JBL Seeker which seals pretty well, and i now use a custom mouthpiece. I still get some leakage, but it's not too bad.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever made a mask with a skirt that has contours in it to try to minimize laugh line leakage. Better yet, what about a mask with a skirt that is customized to the diver's face? I'm sure a custom skirt would be pretty pricey, but I still wonder if it's ever been tried.

Plastic surgery? Wrinkle cream?

Seriously, I have never heard of molding a custom mask to a persons face to eliminate laugh line leakage.

You might look for masks like the Mares X Vision Liquidskin mask or any mask with an extended, soft skirt:

Mares Liquidskin Mask reviews and discounts, Mares

I think the above mask might work for you.

Good luck.

N

maybe some of the silicone "goop" that guys with mustaches use would help sealing?

Henrik

I ordered some silicone sealant today. We'll see how it works. Thanks.

It would be good if someone, somehow manufactured some kind of goop that would permanently seal to the skirt, and allow me to contour the mask specifically to my face.

I seriously doubt the goop will adhere to the skirt but might as well give it a try if you are stuck on a particular mask.

N

I'm not necessarily stuck on a particular mask, but I haven't found one that's a really good fit for my face yet. I suppose if I were in Florida, it would be much easier, but my choices are more limited here.

Back
Top Bottom