custom made mask skirt/mask modifications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

korpx

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I've tried alot of masks and I am very happy with my latest, the Cressi Matrix. The field of vision is just awsome.

Pretty much the only drawback I can find is a feature Cressi is so proud of - the downward tilt. I can imagine this is nice for scuba diving where you need good view of your instruments but it free diving there really is no reason unless you are a tummy fetischist or something The manufacturers idea of "eliminating the reflections from the surface" is also a load of bull...

If I force/push the top frame towards my forehead and thus eliminating the tilt/angle the field of vision is truly unbelieavable. I don't see any part of the frame!

This lead me to the idea of modding it and search for mask mod links and diy instructions on the net. Haven't found much yet so I thought I'd post a quick question here.

Do you know of any sites of interest in regards to mask modding, custom mask skirt molding or anything remotely related?

Hmms.. How to approach this...

Sorry for the long story.. but here goes...

Back when I was a bit younger (about 16), I had this desire to work in movie special effects.. I researched it a bit, and found out that the main mold making material is actually a dental supply.. so I talked to my dentist about it...

Turns out he actually worked with the airforce at one point, making molds of particular pilots faces on whom stock masks did not fit.

He kindly stayed late one day, and helped me make a mold of my face =) Was really fun..

The dental supply is Alginate.

Basically.., put on a swimming cap, stuck drinking straws up my nose, and applied a liberal layer (1/2inch thick or so) all over my face... After that set a little bit, applied a few layers of plaster gauze, and allowed those to set... The layer of alginate insulated me from the warmth of the plaster setting (exothermic process)..

After that was done, peeled it off.. rubbed a thin layer of mold release on the inside, and poured in liquid plaster.. allowed to set.. and had a remarkable likeness of my ugly mug =)

Just a quick google search and I found several sites that sell the stuff, http://www.artmolds.com/ topped the list

Doesn't seem to be too expensive.. about 15 dollars for a pound of the Alginate (Their recommended amount for a face without ears)..

Now the question is,.. can you find a mask company that will accept a plaster mold of your face and custom make a skirt...

OR.. .. hmms.. I wonder if you heated the skirt of a mask if you could conform it to your new shiny plaster face?

I have not tried this last part, and will NOT be held responsible for burned fingers/damaged masks..

I hope that helps =)

Take care, and let me know how it works,

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom