Currents - what else lurks beneath?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Wasn't sure whether to post this but thought might as well in the end.

Some of you may remember Mr Rumsfeld’s (in)famous quote regarding the ‘known knowns, known unknowns and unkowns unknowns’ ?

Well I thought I posit some thoughts on this philosophical ditty, but in relation to scuba diving in general and currents in particular. I’m hoping that responses from some of the more experienced divers on this board will move some of the unknown unknowns into the ‘known knowns’ camp, particularly for those of modest diving experience like myself.

I'll start by way of a fairly trivial anecdote about when I was diving in South Ari Atoll in The Maldives last November. I had about 60 dives under my belt at this point, but was diving with my DM buddy. We had rented a boat with a local experienced guide. On the second dive on the first day, in a channel, about 20m down, the current picked up and kept moving up the gears at an alarming rate. I'd been in strong currents before but never anything remotely like this. The three of us were separated by maybe 5 metres each and were holding (clinging?) on to the wall beside us. I found the experience somewhat concerning, but nothing compared to when I started breathing in water not many seconds later. I was still able to breathe some air, but a lot of water was coming in too. I checked my gauge and I still had lots of air. I had no idea what was going on. Just that it wasn't good and to be honest, thought this could be quite serious. Trying to manoeuvre to get my octopus didn't seem attractive as I thought this might make things worse and for fear of getting swept away by the current. Moreover - and I feel this is important - in the heat of the moment, when water’s coming in thick and fast, it didn’t feel like there were many moments to be playing around with frankly.

I decided I needed to do something so let go of the wall and balooned over to the guide, who could see something was amiss. He ascended us immediately without a safety stop. Back on the boat, I had to ask him what on earth had happened (which in itself annoyed me and is part of the rationale behind this post). He said the pressure of the current had depressed the purge on the second stage which let in the water. This seems to make sense to me, but would be interesting if anyone had any thoughts on whether this could be so or not. And if this was the case, is this the expected behaviour for a second stage or a malfunction?

If so, I must say that I find it strange that in environments with strong currents that they don't tell you certain things:
a) your reg may open up to the water in a strong current
b) if this happens, put your hand over your second stage and/or turn your face away from the current so the second stage isn't getting the full force of the current.

I feel that this kind of incident could become fairly serious fairly quickly, particularly in a current that strong, where maintaining contact with a buddy up-current is nigh on impossible. If there had been a few DSDs or newly trained OWs in tow, and all regs had had the same behaviour, this could have become quite serious indeed.

But my main thrust here is - what other 'unexpected events/situations/gear quirks (malfunctions?)’' are there in strong currents that aren't commonly mentioned that maybe should be? Obviously it’s easier to deal with a situation if you are aware that this situation can happen.
You can think to yourself – OK, free flowing reg. I’ve read/trained this – I can breathe on this and ascend (or share if possible).
Or, mental current, reg letting in water - turn face away from current. Etc.
But trying to work out what to do, never mind executing it, the first time, under stress, is difficult.

Another example - I carried my first reef hook on my trip a couple of weeks back (also to the Maldives and, incidentally, on the Stingray, a sister boat to the Baani Adventure, the day after the accident happened but this is immaterial to this post [though I may have some words to say on this also in another post]).Anyway, I also carried my first knife, after reading about that poor girl on Palau that died, her hook still attached into her BC. I carried the knife having read the following thread on SB (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/25725-lessons-learned-death-palau.html) and even though the currents were much more gentle on this trip, I could see that it makes utter sense to be able to cut oneself free from the reef hook/line attached to your BCD - but only after having read about it here. Otherwise I would have just carried the hook.

So here are my newbie three things that people not experienced in a strong current might want to know:
1. Second stage purges can let in water in a very strong current
2. This will stop if you turn your head away from the current or put your hand over the second stage
3. If using a reef hook, make sure you carry a knife in case the current is too strong to detach yourself from the hook/line (it clips into a d-ring on your BCD)

Now - are there any other lessons about currents that people could learn here, safely, rather than have to learn directly from experience, where their safety may be in jeopardy? What other tips and tricks should one be aware of when going into waters where extremely strong currents are possible?

Or if what I’m saying, my lessons learned as it were, are incorrect, I’d certainly appreciate feedback on that!

Thanks,
John

Surface marker buoys, a whistle and a good light are a good thing to have. If you get swept away, you can be seen or heard by the boat. It's hard to hang on and try to maintain any position. Best to be able to just let go and flow with it.
Regarding water leaking into the second stage: ?? If your purge button gets depressed by the force of the current, you'll just have air leaking into it and going out where you normally exhale. I've never heard of that before. I think you had some malfunction.

Thanks Hank. Interesting to learn that you don't think it's what the purge should have done - and it does makes sense given it normally purges water via flushing iair. Maybe that's why the guide wasn't forthcoming with an explanation, that it was a kit (rental I should add) failure. Anyone had or know of anything similar in terms of regs letting in water?

Good points re surface kit - I've been following several threads and making up a wish list for just this eventuality.

J

The only time my regs ever failed was right after a service by the LDS. No wonder I service everything but my warrantied SP regs. The reg started breathing a little wet. When I took it apart it turns out the diaphragm was not properly seated. Most likely your rental reg had something similar with either the diaphragm or the exhaust valve leaking.

Thanks Hank. Interesting to learn that you don't think it's what the purge should have done - and it does makes sense given it normally purges water via flushing iair. Maybe that's why the guide wasn't forthcoming with an explanation, that it was a kit (rental I should add) failure. Anyone had or know of anything similar in terms of regs letting in water?

Good points re surface kit - I've been following several threads and making up a wish list for just this eventuality.

J

I'll also vote for a leaking exhaust valve, but I have seen wet breathing with a split mouthpiece, too. Maybe the action of the current against the second stage created a tear at the attaching point?

Instead of turning my head to the side in a current, I find that looking down 1) moves the reg out of the flow and 2) makes me more streamlined and allows the current to not feel as strong (kicking into caverns comes to mind). 3) allows me to focus on something (like the reef).

Instead of turning my head to the side in a current, I find that looking down 1) moves the reg out of the flow and 2) makes me more streamlined and allows the current to not feel as strong (kicking into caverns comes to mind). 3) allows me to focus on something (like the reef).

From my experience of a strong current dive I'd agree that looking down can be better than turning your head side-on - nearly had my regulator pulled out my mouth by the current. Then I started getting worried I'd bite through the widgets keeping my reg in my mouth...

Hank 49 is absolutley correct about the purge. The exhaust diaphragm is the most likely suspect however you could also have a hairline crack in the second stage housing. I had this happen with my Sherwood Octopus and it did as you discribed.
You should always dive with a knife. Always, always, always. At places that don't allow knives get a durable set of clippers.
For a reef hook add an escape clip. In other words Hook - Line - Clip - Clip - Line- Clip - BC. With this set -up, if you can't dislodge the hook or disconnect from your BC pull yourself to the reef and disconnect in the middle.
In addtion to the surface kit items mentioned above: Dive Alert Inflator, Signal mirror, and when ever I dive in a place with currents you discrbed a GPS and VHF radio in a water proof container for those just in case moments.

Jim

One other current issue is the mask. If you get at the wrong angle to a current, the mask may start to fludder a bit on your face -- letting in water. This is not so rare. If you have the really wrong angle, and a ripping current, it is possible to have the current remove your mask -- pretty rare.

I agree that if the reg were 100% ok, there would probably not have been an issue. That said, reg issues do tend to first show up at times of stress.

Thanks for the posts - I find this very interesting and educational.

Doubler, what kind of clip do you mean? I spent some time in my back garden trying out different configurations for hooking into the BCD - my two objectives being:
1. Being able to release myself easily and while the line is taught
2. Getting the force positioned around my centre of gravity (rather than the D rings on my BC as these are either top/bottom/left/right.

My conslusions (which could well be wrong) -
1. Putting a system in to get clip at centre of gravity (basically a 7mm line tied off on bottom left and right d-rings between bottom left/right BC D rings) meant BC could not be taken off easily, which I thought could pose a risk.
2. Adding clip clip in the middle (I tried a variation on this) - didn't appear to solve the problem of trying to unclip when the line is very taught (v strong current)

Anyhow, I decided that these extra complications just added more hazard so I clipped into my bottom left or right D-Ring depending on my position relative to the current. Which was ok, and certainly lots better than trying to cling on to the reef, particularly for photos/videos. I had some very jealous dive companions which given the cost of a hook I found amusing.

If you have any thought on the best way/system to be able to get a force applied centrallyto one's BCD, then that would be appreciated. And, if you could advise if there are quick-release clips that would be great too.

Re: other pieces of kit - definitely going to invest in some of these as increasingly the places I go to are currenty, which is fun, but definitely adds multiple risk points, some of which I'd like to mitigate as much as possible.

Another question - any thoughts on drills in safe env. for dealing with a malfunctioning reg situation? e.g.
1. Swap second stage for octopus
2. Share air with buddy
3. Try to swim to buddy 5m without reg and then share
4. Try to attract buddies attention 15m away to indicated OOA
5. Ascend breathing from freeflowing reg.

Just thoughts, but since starting to read this board recently, I'm keen to start doing drills, which I haven't in the past but can see the inherent value in. So, if there are other useful drills, would be interested to hear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom