Currently open DFW area dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just moved to the DFW area at the beginning of the month. I was planning to go check out the Scuba Ranch at Terrell, but they are closed due to the Corona. I have a brand new sidemount rig I’m dying to try out, so what other options are there within a few hours? FYI, I have full cylinders, so not looking for an open dive shop, just somewhere to go get wet.

Why the snarky reply? How does my desire to dive have anything to do with what’s important in life? My wife and I went for a walk in a city park today, while keeping our distance from other people. Did our walk also violate your feelings about what’s important?

That wasn't snark. I realize everyone is on edge, may want to check yourself and not be so defensive. The water will still be there when things settle down.

No, it was clearly snark, because you felt the need to say it without offering anything constructive. If you don’t think it’s a good idea, then offer some reason why. Maybe you have an idea I haven’t thought of. I would love to hear some well thought out reasoning. However, if all you have to offer is dropping negativity on this post without giving any reason why, then you’ve made your intentions very clear.

Welcome @CWC! It is true, if you live in Dallas county like me section 2.a.iii of the stay at home order permits residents to engage in outdoor activities so long as they maintain social distancing of 6ft. Scuba is well within the realm of possibility under those conditions... but I agree that it’s best to exercise prudence. SARS-CoV-19, the virus causing COVID-19, is a respiratory virus which would obviously impact our ability to dive safely even if symptoms are mild or unnoticeable, not to mention the possibility we may be carriers and spread illness to more at risk populations in our community... so use your best judgment.

That being said, it appears that Wheeler Branch Park may still be open. It is about 1.5 hours south of Dallas. I’ve been discussing the possibility of going down with some other Sidemount divers, feel free to DM if you would like me to keep you updated on that. Can’t say for sure we will be going. Like @RockiesFan was saying it’s not going to be the end of the world to skip a weekend or two of diving. (Though it might be close :wink:)

Thanks for the info! I haven’t heard of Wheeler Branch Park, but I’ll check it out. I also heard there are some dive areas at Possum Kingdom, but all I could find online is information about a dive shop that was closed in 2008.

If you find a dive site let me know. I live in the DFW area and I have been to the Scuba Park in Terrell. It is one of the worst diving venues I have ever experienced. Horrid visibility, poor water quality and it is run like a prison camp. (Under the old ownership). I know a lot of dive schools use it but if you don't need to go for certification purposes I would avoid it. I am curious about other spots. Right now my nearest great diving venues are a 2 hr plane ride (Cozumel or Grand Cayman).
How does Wheeler Branch compare to Terrell?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom