current water temp channel islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jungho Kim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be diving the islands for a week next week. What is the approximate water temp now? I dove in the Galapagos in July in high 60F to low 80F range in a five mil + hooded vest. I am wondering if I should bring my drysuit (only have thicker undergarments for BC diving) or my 7mm.

Cheers, JK

I will be diving the islands for a week next week. What is the approximate water temp now? I dove in the Galapagos in July in high 60F to low 80F range in a five mil + hooded vest. I am wondering if I should bring my drysuit (only have thicker undergarments for BC diving) or my 7mm.

Cheers, JK

Always a drysuit. I can't imagine getting wet on a dive any more :D

Water temp is here (in degrees C - what is this strange F you talk of?) UK & Ireland - Surf Charts - Magicseaweed.com

About 16C

The Channel Islands have highly varied water temperatures depending on where you dive. Generally the southern leeward coast of Catalina is the warmest (69 F bottom temp at 55 fsw last week) while San Miguel and San Nicolas can be quite cold. You need to specify where in the islands you will be diving to get better feedback.

I'm headed for San Clemente. One of the bouys is saying 70 deg F and when I asked Truth Aquatics reported there were no thermoclines a week ago, but they don't have a boat there right now. Anyone have an update? Right now I am planning to go dry with board shorts and a T-shirt beneath :cool2:

I talked with the Spectre people a couple of days ago and they said the water temp at Anacapa was running 68 degrees.

Which of the Channel Islands will you be diving?

Water is in the mid-60Fs right now, but it could change. Two weeks ago, I started seeing thermoclines at Santa Cruz Island.

I'd suggest no less than a 7mm wetsuit if you don't want to haul your drysuit.

I went there 1.5 weeks ago. The seas were pretty rough that day and the water temp was about 65ish (i forgot exactly). I wore a 7mm +hood/vest and was perfectly fine for about 45+ minutes each dive. We were at the Anacapa area

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom