Current COVID/masking in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, you totally mistaken what I have said, clearly. Sure, tourists are not following all the rules. And no one said you don't have the right to point out anything. And sure lots of tourists are coming from a strong sense of denial and actively fight the regulation.

That being said, I have not seen statistic on the number of tourists failing COVID tests on their vacations. Surely if the massive amount of spread in QRoo was from tourists we would hear about them being confined, denied travel or hospitalized. Statistic tell us its a lot of young locals. Do you actually believe they are accurately reporting the positive tests? I don't. But that's a three maragarita conversation and not one I am willing to have on social media! I still owe you a birthday margarita.

When you talk about locals and the levels of protection they are engaging in, I think it is not the perfect adherence you mentioned. Surely you have seen popular local restaurants that fail to follow the Governor's order for Orange and reduce to 50%. I know a number of them I was in could NOT double the people there. Because they still haven't halved it. Heck I barely got in one without a reservation!! Could not agree more Richard. It is absolutely ridiculous. There is one on the waterfront that has been cited a couple of times by Cofepris (health department) and yet continues to be overcrowded and does not adhere to the safety rules. There is no way in hell they are following the 50% occupancy rule while we are still in code "orange". (eye roll) But why would anyone frequent these places??

Walk around Fonatur and tell me locals are masking up. No they aren't. Oh sure some do. Being generous maybe 35-40%. And do you know what happens when expats are walking around Fonatur with non-mask wearing locals? They don't wear theirs either. I surely wouldn't use Fonatur as an examplary measure of mask compliance! But seriously, there are many working in the industry that do not have a good level of education or the machismo that they do not have to wear masks and that their immune systems are strong. I would not use that as a gauge.. But yes, a good example .

And I more than own a condo, I serve as Chairman of the HOA, so I hear the opinions of residents. As you know we have a fair number of Mexican nationals as well as expats living at our place. We pride ourselves in not being all expats. We instituted special COVID rules and have had to deal with people chaffing at the rules and wanting to violate them. And believe me that is very far from being an expat issue.

If the mask police, wants to harass tourists more about the masks and not just nationals, I am good with that too. Mask police? We have mask police? lol But seriously, I have seen little to zero enforcement. And the fine is $2600 pesos or 36 hours in jail. But I have not heard of a single tourist getting fined. Just locals who cannot afford the fine and sit in jail for the 36 hours with others. At least they give them masks while sitting together in a small enclosed room. smh But I am in the park almost daily walking my dog. Almost all the locals there are wearing masks, yet many of the tourists (I am talking about all tourists including from other parts of Mexico) are not.

All that being said, the national population in Cozumel, I think, isn't that different from a lot of places. They are tired of it and looking to drop or slide by any restriction they can, especially the young people. That's not good, that's not right, but that just is. So hectoring tourists is truly missing the core reason its lighting off. I agree. I have not seenany bullying. On the contrary I have found Cozumeleños to be extremely polite when addressing this. But I do very politely ask someone who is reaching over me in a grocery store without a mask to please observe the mask rules in the store. Not playing mask police but they literally are stopped at the front door and asked to wear one inside. The rudeness I have encountered is astounding.

Its not tourists causing the fiasco at the ferry pier, where many nationals are crowded together without social distancing. And tourists don't own the ferries:
Another three maragarita conversation. And it is absolutley ridiculous. Politics at its absolute worse!

Ultramar y Winjet se niegan a trabajar juntas en Cozumel sin orden federal
And while some tourist may attend, they don't organize these:

Cofepris clausura 60 fiestas clandestinas en destinos turísticos de Quintana Roo
Organizan fiesta clandestina en Tulum que se llevó a cabo en Yucatán; la clausuran

(Please click to expand to see my answers above in blue. Thanks.
I have seen the local police here break up quite a few large private parties. And no way should we compare Playa del Carmen, Cancun and Tulum to what is going on here. Just read that Playa del Carmen has had a 115% increas in new cases. My physician friend who works in a local clinic in PDC said he is seeing triple the amount of covid patients. And yes, mostly younger. Hopefully since the 30 and under crowd just got their vaccine maybe numbers will start going down. Still a wait and see.

So pointing fingers at tourists, is ignoring the root of the problem. Its like worrying about a fire and yelling at your visitor smoking a cig in the living room, while your roomates are practicing their fire dancing in the bedrooms.

Don't get caught up in the politics and the hype, look at the problem. Just because you SEE tourists on the malecon without masks, doesn't mean they are the root of the problem. They are just what you see that irritates you. Maybe if you went out partying at 3 am in local places, you would see the younger people that make up a lot of the cases and then be mad at them?
Don't get caught up in the politics? Yeah. Right. No thank you! lol But try living here full time. It IS very different. And It's not just what I see living here every day, it is also what physicians and nurses and other friends in the medical field are telling me.

Thanks for your input. Always respected! Looking forward to seeing you guys when you get back. BTW, one of my good friends, who stayed in your place is buying a condo there. See you at the pool! ;-)

The real problem is that cvchief and JenLoves2Dive are both right and both make good points. There's bad behavior everywhere. It's why we're suffering yet another wave. And probably more waves after that when the next variant pops up and gains a foothold. I'm a little disappointed to hear the locals aren't masking up as much as they should, but people will be people, and one thing we've all seen throughout this pandemic is that a lot of people are just dumb.

All a sane, rational person can do is not contribute to the problem by masking up and being responsible. I'll have my mask with me when I show up, and I'll have it on when I'm not alone, eating a meal, or underwater. If enough people were doing that, this thing would have been over months ago.
I find it interesting that you think masking and being responsible can stop covid. Slow it down, yes, make it be over, really?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The reports on this thread continue, despite my earlier modpost. So, I have deleted a pile of the posts arguing about covid and covid stats. Please stick to talking specifically about Cozumel. However, a few of you may find that you are no longer able to post in this thread due to repeatedly dragging it off topic.

Thanks for your input. Always respected! Looking forward to seeing you guys when you get back. BTW, one of my good friends, who stayed in your place is buying a condo there. See you at the pool! ;-)

Yes, she seems very nice. Probably be in town again next month. And I wont see you at the pool until we relax our COVID restrictions! :wink:

Thanks 3M. I started this thread and all I really asked is what are the current protocols and conduct there. I'm a physician so I REALLY wasn't wanting to enter the COVID debates! We already deal whit that on a daily basis in practice. If anyone sees anything new or different there, please post it here. The purpose of the thread was to keep up with what practices are actually happening in Cozumel. Thanks again!

I'm a physician so I REALLY wasn't wanting to enter the COVID debates!

and you thought that was the way it would go?

67815139.jpg

Just returned from Coz yesterday. I stayed, ate, and spent most all of my time downtown (El Centro). Virtually everyone I saw was wearing a mask. Many restaurants in the area spritzed hand sanitizer and took temps upon entry. My valet dive shop took care of everything (including wetsuits) except masks and regs. They requested we rinse and transport those. It was the same as all my trips since last August. YMMV. BTW, had a wonderful time. Ocean was glass. :) :clearmask:

Back
Top Bottom