Current 40 Fathom conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colliam7

Tech Instructor
Staff member
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone been deep at 40 Fathom in the last 7-10 days? I am hearing the viz remains poor (5-10') down to the van at 165'. But, when I was there in the Fall, even though the viz at the van was only so-so, it was quite good at the whirlybird (possibly because of the overhang well above it). In any event, if you have been to the bucket, or even to the 200' range recently, what was the viz like along the way?

Didn't get any replies before our trip, so I wil answer my own post as info for others. Vis was generally 10-15 ft., although the tannins in the water create a very dark environment. Some particulate matter is present, but is generally not a problem. It is just so dark, that anything below about 20 feet becomes a night dive.

For those who haven't been there recently, LOTS of changes - more docks covering the surface, some changes in the location of underwater items (satellite dish, motorcycle).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom