Question Curacao-What's Your Experience with Marazul Dive Resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am planning another trip to Curacao in June, and I'm looking to stay in the Sabana Westpunt area and Marazul Dive Resort looks promising. These are individually owned condos/townhomes and the rental listings are spread across multiple booking engines. Has anyone had a positive experience with a specific unit and the owner? I'd like a unit closer to the beach and not set back on the property to hopefully hear the sounds of the ocean instead of cars, road noise, and barking dogs.

Anyone have problems with ants in the units? Yes, I know it's a tropical environment, but ants can be somewhat controlled with proper maintenance, cleanliness, and pest control spraying.
Do both levels of the unit have A/C?
What did you really like and dislike about the property and your room?

Any tips, suggestions, comments are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

There are lots of search engines. Here is one that is common in Curaçao. It is a Dutch site.​

We have been to curaçao 4 times in the last 6 years. Have only stayed on the westside of the island. We prefer Coral Estates. Easy diving - shore dives only. Good dive shop for guided dives if preferred or courses. We are here with family and rent a house for 3-4 weeks. Minor ants and some super small flying things that bite - unfortunately mostly me it seems. 😀 We fly home in two days. Ask questions if I can help I will.

We have been to curaçao 4 times in the last 6 years. Have only stayed on the westside of the island. We prefer Coral Estates. Easy diving - shore dives only. Good dive shop for guided dives if preferred or courses. We are here with family and rent a house for 3-4 weeks. Minor ants and some super small flying things that bite - unfortunately mostly me it seems. 😀 We fly home in two days. Ask questions if I can help I will.
You are only doing shore dives, or they don’t have a dive boat there?

You are only doing shore dives, or they don’t have a dive boat there?
No boat here at Coral Estates. No need for one. Short swim straight out to the reef. Reef starts at 20 feet. Rope from the sand and down the reef to the next sandy section about 120 feet depth. Go left or right. Super easy to see the rope to exit with. We do have a car rental and so other dive sites are a short drive north for us. They also are shore dives.

Attachments

• 7137D830-697A-4F20-80A6-656F95949232.jpeg
    7137D830-697A-4F20-80A6-656F95949232.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 53
  • F22B9CDD-F564-41C0-A372-F868A518FA9B.jpeg
    F22B9CDD-F564-41C0-A372-F868A518FA9B.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 50
  • D57C0863-0CA0-4B24-BF5E-9E1D5271B700.jpeg
    D57C0863-0CA0-4B24-BF5E-9E1D5271B700.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 608E229E-7116-4703-969E-9DBB59664DBD.jpeg
    608E229E-7116-4703-969E-9DBB59664DBD.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 07BB997E-4B02-4465-8FAB-3761F44402DA.jpeg
    07BB997E-4B02-4465-8FAB-3761F44402DA.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 8364161C-FD7D-4195-87FB-59B85F760FC4.jpeg
    8364161C-FD7D-4195-87FB-59B85F760FC4.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 51
No boat here at Coral Estates. No need for one. Short swim straight out to the reef. Reef starts at 20 feet. Rope from the sand and down the reef to the next sandy section about 120 feet depth. Go left or right. Super easy to see the rope to exit with. We do have a car rental and so other dive sites are a short drive north for us. They also are shore dives.
I’m very familiar with the area, stayed/dove there many times when it was Habitat. Aside from dives on site we prefer boat diving though so totally have a need for a boat. :wink: I didn’t realize the op there no longer ran a boat? Their website says they run a 2-tank boat dive from there every morning.

I’m very familiar with the area, stayed/dove there many times when it was Habitat. Aside from dives on site we prefer boat diving though so totally have a need for a boat. :wink: I didn’t realize the op there no longer ran a boat? Their website says they run a 2-tank boat dive from there every morning.
No boat. Been here 3 trips. 3 weeks - 4 Weeks - 3 weeks. For the last 3 years. Never been a boat on site. They are part of

Last year they had a very large boat - perhaps 20-30 divers - they brought it to Coral Estates and parked it in the protected swimming area/scuba area. But I didn’t see it this year.

No boat. Been here 3 trips. 3 weeks - 4 Weeks - 3 weeks. For the last 3 years. Never been a boat on site. They are part of

Last year they had a very large boat - perhaps 20-30 divers - they brought it to Coral Estates and parked it in the protected swimming area/scuba area. But I didn’t see it this year.
Are you talking about Marazul, which was my original posted question?

Are you talking about Marazul, which was my original posted question?
No, Coral Estates is east of Marazul. It is on the south side of the island in Saint Willibrordus, a little more than halfway between Marazul and Willemstad.

@living4experiences, to answer some of your other questions, we stayed in 1B, booked through Marazul Dive Resort on the beautiful island of Curaçao. All of the units on this site are ocean front and 1 bedroom 2 bath, with the second bath being downstairs and a great place to hang gear. The owners were great to work with, and the unit was nice. It was a little short on utensils, but is was only the two of us. We really liked that it was next to the pool as this turned out to be the nighttime gathering spot for our group (one of our party was in 1A, another couple in 10B and one member at Rancho el Sobrino).

We did not have a problem with ants as long as we kept food in the refrigerator and dishes clean. This meant any type of food that did not come in a completely sealable container. So, cereal, chips, bread, anything like that went into the fridge. We had a massive swarm on our kitchen wash sponge once because we didn’t rinse it well enough.

Both floors had a/c, which we were all asked to only run when we were there, and to turn off the downstairs unit at night. We found that we didn’t really need to run the units during the day as we would get a great breeze through the condo with the windows open. The owners all asked for the downstairs windows to be closed when we weren’t there, but they cooled down quickly with the breeze when we returned.

The property is nice, the two sets of stairs running down the wall to the water were fantastic. The one thing we all agreed was an issue with the units was the stairs to the upper floor. Rather steep and shallow, with no landing at the top by the door to the bedroom. If you forgot anything in your bedroom during the day, or forgot something that you wanted to go over lying in bed at night, you were up and down the stairs.

Ultimately, would I stay there again? I would. It’s a great place to dive and hang out.

I’d be happy to answer any other questions that I might be able to. you can ask on here, or DM me, which ever works best for you.

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom