Curacao Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elbee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
June 26th - July 3rd
Stayed at the Lodge Kura Hulanda
Dove with Ocean Encounters West
Airline Delta

Had a wonderful, relaxing trip to Curacao. We decided to only do 2 dives a day for 4 days and relax in the afternoon. We rented a car at the airport which we really didn't need since we decided not to do any shore diving. You can get a taxi from the airport to Westpunt for about $60(negotiate the price with driver before leaving airport) and you can rent a car at the lodge for two day minimum if you want to site see, eat out, etc. We will do this next time since we only used our rental for two days.

Lodge - We loved the Lodge Kura Hulanda, beautiful resort! The lodge is a well maintained, secure resort. Beautiful beach and pool with plenty of lounge chairs and grass thatched umbrellas. We stayed in a one bedroom garden view room with kitchen and a large deck on the second floor. Unless you are going to cook it is not worth spending the extra money for the kitchen.
Breakfast - buffet style bacon, sausage, fruit, yogurt, breads, juice and coffee for $10. There is a separate menu with omelets, french toast, pancakes, etc. for an additional fee. They do offer an all inclusive option for just breakfast $18.00 per day or breakfast, lunch and dinner for $130 per day.
Service - Understand that we went during the low season...and I was told that during this time is when they are training new staff, with that said let me tell you it is hit or miss regarding wait time. I know everyone is going to say it is island time...I don't mind the wait, but I do want my order to be correct. We will not eat at the Kalki grill located by the beach again. My burger was raw and the our order was incorrect. It wasn't the servers fault because on our bill it showed the correct order. The bar by the pool and Christofell Terrace we awesome!
We ate at Sunshines and Landhuis Misje twice...I can't say enough about both places. The food was fresh and very tasty...everything on the menu was yummy. Of course, I have to say Sunshine is so friendly and helpful. If you have a questions she will have the answer and a story.

Ocean Encounters - Great dive crew, large boat, water, juice, fruit and raisin bread during surface intervals. Sites reminded me of Bonaire. My favorite was Watamula.
Diving begins at 8 AM and you are back around noon. They have a secure area for you to stow your gear...you rinse it and hang it up outside and they will bring it inside before closing up. Designated wash tubs to rinse your gear...the water was always fresh in the tubs. Boat had a rinse tub for cameras and one for masks. They always reminded everyone to not put their mask in the camera tub. Before getting underway they went over boat safety, dive sites and time limit...there is a 60 minute time limit on all dives. You get in the water together and go down together. I don't have a problem with this because after 60 minutes I am usually ready to go up. Can't say enough about the staff...very friendly, pointed out a lot of critters, fixed dive gear (thanks Sean)! Our dive masters were Andreas, Dave, Steve and Shane great group of guys will go anywhere you want for a Ben Franklin Bill :) just kidding! Bryan and Toni and Julie were in the shop very helpful...any questions you have they can answer. Of course, I can't forget our Captain Marcello great sense of humor and if you need your mask defogged he will us his lighter!:D
Would I go back to Curacao again? Yes, I would...:D
Would I stay at the Lodge again? Yes, oceanview next time!:D
Would I dive with Ocean Encounters again? You bet!:D
and of course I would eat at Sunshines and Misje again!:D
I will be happy to answer any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom