Curacao Tek-Lite- Part 1, Kokomo Tug Boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remy B.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not many divers know that there is a little more to see beyond the Rec limit, but at the same time without going into a big Tec-dive.

I have been planning this dive for a while, I got to be know the right guys by coincidence to be able to buddy up with them to accomplished, and so I did 3 dives with them but for prudence I will post only the two lighter ones as the other is a little more challenging on depth but can be accomplished as well in combination with Curacao TeK-Lite Part 2

CURACAO Tek-Lite Part-1

It is a Tug boat that had a bad fate in choppy waters when it was tugging a barge full with cars, the cars shifted their weight to tilde the barge quickly enough too sink and take the Tub boat down with the cargo.

We rented our Deco tanks and fills from "Ocean Encounters Curacao" located at the Lions dive Resort next to the Aquarium ( make sure you let them know you want a fill and they will prepared a day ahead ) we collected the tanks at 8:30 and went to Kokomo beach which is open at 9:00am, the local dive shop at Kokomo beach have air and Nitrox 32 and 36 only and it opens at 10:00am, they don't have deco bottles just regular back mount singles.

The Tug boat is located near Kokomo Beach which is the entry point, if you are at the beach on your left hand about 50m away you will see a red bouy, if I'm not mistaken it is attached to the barge that lays in the slope with a max depth of 32-35m on the bottom part and round 18m on the top ( it has been a while since I dived there long ago )
From that red bouy you need to swim or dive shallow:clearmask: on top of the Plato 100m pass it, to start the descent the slope, and start around 35m to turn to the right, you can't missed this way.

The tug boat is about 20m to 18m long and it lays at a depth from 46m (Pilot House) to 52m on the tale, it is very clean with some live growing on it for the age of the wreck, but it is a very nice and beautiful scenery.

Be careful to not enter the engine room as the new captain of the Tug Boat don't like that you enter there :wink: , he let me know I was not welcome to enter the engine room, only to look outside his boat, The New Captain is about 6 foot and green and he don't fool around to charge at you.

Near the Tug boat you will see the remains of the cars all the way up to about 25m a complete trail of Detroit carnage, you may can pickup some parts if you recognize them from cars of the 50's, we found a rear window intact.

On our way up and Deco Stops we had the company of the Great Barracuda and Spotted Eagle Ray and you can get very nice pictures on your 12-9 and 6m Deco stops and shoot some Macros.

Thanks for sharing. Its beautiful.

I did that dive a few years back---its cool and easy to swim to from the beach.

Car pile, I remember that dive site! Nice writeup and video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom