Curaçao solo diving with cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaShaneVB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've read that many operations on the island have a no solo policy. Does anyone know if that includes divers who are solo certified?

Also if I did go, how limited would my shore diving experience be? And does anyone know of operations on the island who will rent tanks and a pony to a solo certified diver.

My only plan for this trip is to take photographs and shoot video which takes my attention, so I'm not looking for a buddy as I won't be able to be a responsible buddy to them.

I've read that many operations on the island have a no solo policy. Does anyone know if that includes divers who are solo certified?

Also if I did go, how limited would my shore diving experience be? And does anyone know of operations on the island who will rent tanks and a pony to a solo certified diver.

My only plan for this trip is to take photographs and shoot video which takes my attention, so I'm not looking for a buddy as I won't be able to be a responsible buddy to them.

I had no trouble diving solo a couple years ago, the only place that refused me was at Blue Bay (private beach). I don't have a solo card, it wasn't a problem. I got my tanks from a shop near where I was staying (http://www.divewederfoort.com) Almost all of the diving is from the shore, so you schlep your tanks and gear to the water, put them on and go diving. On a couple occasions I rented a third tank from the operator on the beach, again no problem. . .

I'm going back again next February, can't wait !!!

Because operators change policies frequently, your best bet is to contact dive ops via Email and ask specific questions that will be important for you in order to better enjoy your trip. You can also pull up the Email and show it to them if they renege.

I dived Curacao with my wife, can't comment on solo diving. We used Go West in Westpunt, you could contact them with regard to policy. Diving off the boats seemed pretty hands off. Access to the house reef, Playa Kalki/Alice in Wonderland, was not controlled, would imagine solo diving there would not be difficult.

No solo at Go West Diving either. GO WEST Diving - EN - Dive Safety Information - GO WEST Diving Curacao
Solo Diving is not allowed under any circumstance(s)

Don't bother checking the Ocean Encounters shops either...

Discover Diving
is fairly convenient for west side diving - they're at the entrance to Playa Lagun (beach/divesite) and a few minutes north to Playa Jeremi where you may be the only one there - no facilities. Also they have a drive-up loading dock which is pretty handy.

Because operators change policies frequently, your best bet is to contact dive ops via Email and ask specific questions that will be important for you in order to better enjoy your trip. You can also pull up the Email and show it to them if they renege.

I did that a few years ago. Every single shop wrote back - no solo diving. But I ran into a guy who has a shop in Curacao in the airport on my way back from Bonaire. Asked him about the no-solo and he said to come to his shop and he'd rent me tanks and give me advice on the best sites, no problem. I don't remember which shop it was. I go to Bonaire because the diving is similar/same and it's small with sites everywhere, so short drives, and no worries diving solo.

Discover Diving
is fairly convenient for west side diving - they're at the entrance to Playa Lagun (beach/divesite) and a few minutes north to Playa Jeremi where you may be the only one there - no facilities. Also they have a drive-up loading dock which is pretty handy.

Discover diving changed owners recently and renamed to Dive Lagun. They do rent tanks (no gear) to solo divers.

Back
Top Bottom