Curacao or Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orty

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I are planning to take off next week to dive for 7 days, and can't decide between Caracao or Grand Cayman (already checked and no problem with flights, if we decide quick). We have about 20 dives each, mostly in Cozumel, which we love, but just looking for a change. We are not experienced enough to know what we like. We like everything (but prefer big fish to macro). If Cayman, are we OK staying at the East End? It seems a bit secluded, and that is why we like it. But at the same time we were wondering whether we may not be positioning ourselves properly geographically if we want to dive elsewhere on the island. We would have a car so I assume that resolves any traveling issues. We were thinking the Reef Resort if the East End. Any thoughts or input would br greatly appreciated. thank you very much.

Hi Ort:
We spend alot of time on Grand Cayman - down in the Seven Mile Beach area, near Georgetown. If you like seclusion, then you will enjoy East End - that end of the island gets more wind, so there is also more wave action if you want to Kitesurf. The KiteHouse is operated by Ocean Frontiers, a dive operator in East End.
Since you will have a car, you'll be able to drive to the SMB area and can dive off the South Sound, West Bay area or North wall; you'll have lots of options. It's only a 30-40 minute drive, depending on traffic. You can also drive up to Rum Point/Kaibo - maybe 15 min - and dive from there too. Go to Kaibo for lunch one day - that's fun. And in Georgetown, go to Sunset House - it's a dive hotel and bar area.
I have seen larger fish on all sides of the island - saw more turtles & lobsters this past season; you'll have a chance to see larger fish off East End, I think.
Either way, you'll have a good time. Cayman is nice & clean & safe - people are really nice.
Jane

You may already be there by now, but you would probably really enjoy the East End. Diving is great and Ocean Frontiers is a top rated dive shop. We leave next Saturday for the East End and will hopefully be diving by Sunday. Have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom