Curaçao - A Unique Shore Diving Haven

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Curaçao

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The Caribbean has no shortage of awe-inspiring views and vacation destinations, but the real majesty of this region that is nestled to the west of the central Atlantic Ocean, is found below the surface of her azure waves. These naturally clear turquoise waters provide ideal habitats to thousands of species of corals, fish, crabs, turtles, rays, sharks, and more which in turn attracts divers & snorkelers alike from all over the world.

One of these prime destinations in the Caribbean is the island of Curaçao. Sitting 43 miles (70km) off the North Coast of Venezuela, this southern diamond is a reward in and of itself to any who are willing to make the trek. The coral beaches along the southern coastline give divers access to incredible diving. In a sport where you often must charter a boat to see the best of the underwater world, Curaçao is a unique shore diving haven for divers looking to take the advantage of a more leisurely schedule.

Read the full article on Project AWARE!

IMG_4081_0.jpg

Given what's happened to the air fares and travel times to Bonaire I might have to try Curacao out. My biggest problem is finding tanks for solo dives. I tried every shop (email) trying to find an unlimited air package like Bonaire. Everyone responded no go and no solo.

Given what's happened to the air fares and travel times to Bonaire I might have to try Curacao out. My biggest problem is finding tanks for solo dives. I tried every shop (email) trying to find an unlimited air package like Bonaire. Everyone responded no go and no solo.
I've not had that problem. I'm leaving for my second trip to Curacao early next month and renting a house in Dorp Sint Michiel (Boca Sami). I find this location nearly ideal because I'm not to far out of Willemstadt, close to the Centrum market, but not too far from most dive sites to the North. The local shop (Dive Vederfoort) was very good about renting me tanks and giving me a package price, but I did not have any trouble picking up an additional tank or two at other beaches with resident dive shops (this includes Go West). The only place that refused me was Blue Bay (private beach, their pool, their rules)

I think you'll find the reality on the street different from an email

@Kharon & @JohnN
thanks for posting... most interesting that part...
Yes, the Bonaire aifares are a Bummer, hence also looking elswhere, including Curacao next winter I hope). Knowing upfront what goes in terms of solo shore diving and how and where so, is important...
John thanks also for the pointer on where you rent and why... those pointers are really helpful to the totally uninitiated (like me).

Hi, this is Andreas of Go West Diving Curaçao.

I keep reading questions and opinions about solo diving options on Curaçao on this forum, so I would like to give some first-hand information regarding the current solo diving policy of our operation:

In the past we used to run a strict no solo diving approach, and if some people managed to rent tanks from us which they then used for solo diving it is because they were successfully hiding their intentions from us, and took our tanks to other dive sites where we wouldn’t see what they were doing.

Given that we are seeing more and more divers with adequate solo diving training and corresponding certifications from reputable training agencies we decided to adjust our policy, and give credit to such certifications as long as the solo diver will agree to use appropriate equipment including redundant air supply. As we have no dedicated solo diving equipment for rent, anybody wishing to solo dive with our tanks should bring everything needed for rigging redundant air supply, etc.

We still refuse to support any solo diving using standard equipment designed for buddy dives, and hope that our (potential) customers will understand and respect our policy, and not try to trick us into renting them tanks for any purposes not covered by our policy.

I hope this is helpful, happy bubbles to all of you!

Lots of options for solo tanks on the island. I went last year and had the same worries once I arrived I wasn't turned away at any of the west end shops. I also found lots of solo buddies at the well known beaches to dive with. Heading down on Thursday and staying more east this time. I'll have a buddy with me but I'll also inquirer on the solo rentals.

@JohnN and @Andreas Curacao Thanks for the information. I do have the SDI solo card and never, ever dive without redundant air. So it looks like Curacao might be the place once fares and travel times come down.

Andreas, glad to hear of Gowest's revised policies. I think it makes sense and I travel with my own redundant air supply.

We still refuse to support any solo diving using standard equipment designed for buddy dives, and hope that our (potential) customers will understand and respect our policy, and not try to trick us into renting them tanks for any purposes not covered by our policy.

Very glad to hear of the policy revision. Makes Curaçao a more viable option for some.

As for people ‘tricking’ you, I’m curious as to why this ever reaches the point of being an issue where tank rental is concerned. Put another way, why do you care if someone solo shore dives? Why take on a ‘Scuba police’ position?

I get that if an op. offers boat dives, it might be seen as supervising/managing/controlling the way the dive is conducted. Liability insurance being what it is, an op. might feel pressured to enforce a policy on this.

With shore diving, you confirm the diver is certified and rent tanks. Once they leave your shop, you don’t control/manage what they do. Seems like ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ would be the way to go. You could even write out a liability release form so it’s clear you didn’t endorse solo diving. I think this is the unofficial reality of Bonaire’s shore diving scene. Should work for Curaçao?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom