Culture of Jeju Haenyeo (Women Divers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SleepySlipper

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am still unfamiliar with the Scubaboard layout and could not find a free diving forum, here is a link to an awesome short film about the women divers of Korea.

@SleepySlipper
Thank you for posting such a great viedo.

I am way past my prime as a free diver spearfisherman, but was a very active participant in the geneses : I am one of the very few remaining who was honored as a "Father" at the last gathering or the tribe in 2000 at the 'Fathers of free diving & spears fishing " -- almost all are gone now - only a precious few of us remain.

I is encourageing to see Kemmi diving along with the Haeneyo divers and she had a healthy normal child - a big congratulations to her!

Keep up the good work and great posts

SDM

해녀 (haenyeo) divers are getting old, they sometimes do show diving in the Aquaplanet Aquarium in Jeju. Their suits are 10mm in open water and are known to pull the masks off from overzealous scuba divers!

What a beautiful and poignant film. Thank you for sharing it with us.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom