Cultas lake diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

askdjasd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're headed out today (invite if anyone wants to join)
after dale and mustang's amazing video/post

deciding we're going to check it out

anyone know how the boat traffic is during the day and the dive plan?

Cultas lake was absolutely fantastic
easy free parking
picnic benches
we dove the 2nd pier, on the right side.

there's really not much to see except a few small fish. vis was fantastic and the water tasted good.

Then we dove left side of the 2nd pier (in between the 2) and it was amazing, hundreds of thousands of fish, following behind us the entire dive. amazing vis (both dives were at least 30')
went under one of the piers and i **** you not, millions of small fish just hanging around.

This is one of those dives that I absolutely cannot wait to do a night dive in.

Mustang is right (also dale c), this is a fantastic dive and not to be missed!

oh yes, and watch out for boat traffic, so long as you come back shallow 3-5' you're alright..

Glad you guys had fun.

Cultus has several areas to dive, each with their own appeal (if one likes this sort of thing):

Where you were is just south of the Main beach area, it has a shallow sloping profile and, of course, boat hazard.

The next stop heading south is Entrance bay. There is a no boating zone so supposedly you might be safer (all bets off on a summer weekend). Off the beach it drops swiftly to about 65' or so. If you dive off the docks you can follow the contour south/north. Usually there are 3 to 4 species of small fish there. If you dive north of the northern dock you will hit 80' or so in the small bay. Across the bay is the site of an old mairina and if you cross over you will see all sorts of debris.

The next stop of interest is Spring bay, just a little south of Entrance. It is a nice little bay that bottoms out at about 45' and is full of bottles and golf balls (I guess someone really likes whacking them off from the shore there?). Lots of sculpins there as well as they often nest in the brown stubbies.

If you have access to a boat, across the lake at its southern end are some cliffs that people like to jump from. That's where I shot my crayfish video. A series of walls to 135' that I would like to spend a lot more time exploring.

Lastly, across the lake (no shore access) from entrance bay is an area of DND property. Urban legend has it that (depending on the story) jeeps, trucks, tanks and/or a bailey bridge have been disposed of there over the years. The search continues...

"millions" and "hundreds of thousands" might be a bit of an exaggeration, but there were definitely a lot of fish there. Including a nice sized sucker of some sort! Fun dive :) Could have stayed there all day if SOMEONE could control his breathing betterl :wink:

We did find a couple of treasures though. This guy was floating dead on the ground when we got in the water (discarded "Pikeminnow" or something? I dont know my local freshwater species all that well...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom