Cue cards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khblair

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do you have your own set of cue cards? open water? confined water? rescue, etc?
is it worth investing in? the seem to be a pretty big initial investment. any advice? is there a cue card for an Emergency Assistance Plan?

I'm guessing that you mean as use for instructing?

Yes. One thing PADI emphasizes is to go by the check list (cue card), that way you're relatively sure that you didn't omit any step and possibly leave yourself open for potential litigation if one of your students was involved in a diving accident.

the K

With my memory, you better believe I use the slates. It’s only fair to the students.

I seen a (very) few instructors who have done so many classes they don’t need them.
I’ve also seen some who didn’t think they needed them but ended up skipping skills.

When I was a DM I carried the slates and occasionally whispered a reminder in the instructor’s ear. They all at least pretended to be grateful. Not long ago, even with the slates, I almost missed a skill (distracted by an issue). Luckily the DM (whom I’d trained) caught it. I was grateful.

I always use cue cards when working with students.

I don't have a generic card for emergency assistance, but rather typed contact information (laminated if repeat locales) based on where the water activities are happening.

As a new instructor YES use them,I always did until my eyes went down(age):11:
now I use a A4 slate and write it down myself witch gives me a little more flexabilaty.
as in checking of what we did and did not do yet.still use the cuecards and/or the manual to fill out the A4 slate.

I wouldn't teach a class without my slates.
The slate that comes with the PADI rescue class might give you something like an EAP.

No matter how long ... are how many classes you've taught ... You'll forget something. Use the cards.

For emergency write Emergency Contact Info down and if you dive the spot laminate them. If your not coming back a zipper freezer bag gallon size works well to protect from the elements.

Thanks everyone - that's exactly what I'll do!

The cards will help alleviate the possibility of inconsistency should you have a worst-case occur that requires investigation into your teaching methods. If you go by the cards, then it's difficult for you to be wrong.

That said, yes they are a good investment. When I started my PADI DM work, the cards were part of my course materials. With SSI, they most definately are.

My PADI Rescue Diver course included the accident management slate, but that was in 2002. As for your personal emergency assistance plan, this is why I stress having your dive log with you. Your dive log should contain the specifics on allergies, emergency contact info, physician, etc.

SSI Instructors have a pages in their ProDiveLog that are designed for emergency assistance plans from a specific dive site. Any site that an SSI instructor teaches at is supposed to have one of these filled out according to the training standards.

We received all of our cue cards last night...dozens of them - had to have been at least 30. its a stack 3-4 inches high. plus our "wheel". thats for next week. yuck!
ive worked on my emergency assistance plan and my map. we are moving along...tuesday night, i got to "teach" the OW students in the pool (4ft). reviewing all skills, demonstrating and then having them repeat. next week - same thing but in 12ft. it was so cool when i kept hearing "kim, i have a question." "i bet kim knows the answer" "lets ask kim, im sure she knows". man, whodathunk it?? 18 months ago - couldnt even put my face in the water. he he

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom