Cuda 650 battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belmont

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I am part of a group of five Canadian divers who purchased Cuda 650 scooters in the Spring of 2011.

One of us had a problem with his battery yesterday.

When put on the charger the green and yellow LEDs started flashing.

I offered my help in fixing the problem and before going ahead I wanted your learned opinion.

The thermistor reads 1.7k ohms. (between the black and white wires.)

The voltage 43.6V

On my battery it reads 11.43k ohms.

I opened the battery and I figure the thermistor to be embedded at the core of the cell group.

Would it be possible for me to replace that part to save my friend some $$$ and also much needed time out on his machine?

I only opened the bottom of the battery and stopped there.

Best regards

Belmont

PS: those machines rock!
Hard to explain until you have tried one.

Hi

Multiple flashing lights means the charger thinks the battery temp is too high, was the battery hot? had it just been used? try leaving it 4-6 hours and then charge.

please let us know how that goes.

The battery was at room temperature, had been sitting on the bench for two days.
Two different chargers were used, both reacted the same way.
I think the thermistor that informs the charger on the battery temp is shorted.

What do you think?

---------- Post Merged at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:52 AM ----------

Hi

Multiple flashing lights means the charger thinks the battery temp is too high, was the battery hot? had it just been used? try leaving it 4-6 hours and then charge.

please let us know how that goes.

The battery is not hot, not been used recently.
The lights are still flashing. :confused:

So...

Burnt thermistor was replaced with one that was graciously sent by Dive Xtras.
Charger was checked and was not responsible for the problem.
Battery took a good charge and performed beautifully.
So far so good.

I see this is an older thread but I am having a similar problem on my cuda. I have sent the battery to rabbit tool twice and had the thermistor replaced. works like a charm for two or three dives and then goes back to cutting out after running for ten minutes. could I be doing something wrong or scooter doing something to battery? any advice before I send it back again? should I replace the thermistor myself?

Hi

Are you sure its the thermisistor? The thermistor will stop the pack charging. With a bad one the pack wont charge at all, but it has no effect on the scooter when its running?

When you send the pack to Rabbit Tool what are you asking them to check? If its an older pack have you done a burn test to see if the capacity, bad cells?

How old is the pack?

Pack is only like 8 months old. Less than 25 dives. Charger goes into trickle mode after charging for only a short period like 20 minutes

Have you tried anything to see if its a charger issue? borrowed a charger from a friend?

If you send me the serial numbers, there should be a rabbit tool one and a DX one, I can look up its history and see if theirs anything relevant.

I have started to think this may be the case. The fan kicks into low or non existent after a minute. When I got the batt back from rabbit it was charged and I had a successful dive and none since.

---------- Post added April 21st, 2015 at 12:26 PM ----------

I will try to track down a charger tonight. Is there any way of testing this charger? I put my voltmeter from the black and white on batt set to 20k and I got 8.6? Sound right?

Testing the charger normally consists of identifying that its behavior is not as expected, then trying a known good charger on the battery to verify the battery is OK, If battery is OK then its the charger.

If the chargers bad, then only fix is to get a new one, I don't have any way to fix them.

Back
Top Bottom