Cuban winter vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimmer_spe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a Canadian, so I want to visit Cuba this winter. I also am AOW certified, so I want to dive for 2 days while there. I have been told that Garden of the Queen is the best diving area. Is there a resort that offers dives to that area?

I am a Canadian, so I want to visit Cuba this winter. I also am AOW certified, so I want to dive for 2 days while there. I have been told that Garden of the Queen is the best diving area. Is there a resort that offers dives to that area?

As far as I know, it’s only accessible by liveaboard and it’s quite far away from any resort you might be staying at. Unlikely you can dive 2 days there.

As far as I know, it’s only accessible by liveaboard and it’s quite far away from any resort you might be staying at. Unlikely you can dive 2 days there.

Anything good then in Cuba to dive that resorts will cater to?

Cayo Largo is okay. If you really want to dive in Cuba. Although if you only want to dive on two days then you need to really like beaches.

I want to spend the other 5 days turning into a lobster.

Then Cayo Largo is a great option.
- Miles upon miles of deserted bueatiful beaches.
- Most of the hotels have CO sections without having to do a route march to the bar.
- Minimal entertainment staff blocking your rays.

Downside, is it one of the more expensive options in Cuba and not because the resorts are 5 star. Food is shipped in, usually by boat, resulting in a lot of canned fruit and veggies. Popular drinks (even beer) will often run out before the next re-stocking.

Marea del Portillo is popular with a TO dive shop, but I couldn't get any contact info for the dive shop, They are somewhat remote, food reviews are not great.
There is some diving in Jibacoa, from what I have been told about it, two days diving should be more than enough. Reviews say the boat is often down for 'repairs', and they take you out on a hobbie cat.
There is a shop in Varadero that used to post here. Maybe they will chime in.

I plan to go for a week, but I find that 2 days diving is plenty. I would rather do more than.... just dive......

We have cut back to diving only five days of a week vacation instead of six. :)
Two tanks in the morning and beach in the afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom