Cuba live aboard tax deductibility 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnika

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going on a live aboard in Cuba and they offer a tax deductibility letter for helping the ocean conservation group for up to a certain amount.

1) feedback if people have used this and how it went...?
2) advice on how to deal with expenses beyond the letter's allotted amount (granted I've only thus far seen an "example letter")...
2a) what did your CPA/tax Atty call this category of expenses?
2b) are the expenses legally limited by the letter? It says $500 for airfare but you live in Oregon and have to fly to Miami and THEN to Cuba so your flight costs are well beyond $500...??
3) any advice, experience, suggestions I'm not specifically naming... please and thanks!

Only thing I can think of is don't get in trouble with any U.S. authorities going to Cuba. Make sure it's worth it. I know things have changed somewhat.

Back from Cuba live aboard with Aggressor. AMAZING experience, I highly recommend. Fabulous crew, beautiful reefs with gobs of life - I’ve never seen or swam with so many sharks!
No major issues going or coming, but I’ll share a few tidbits:
- until Covid is fully in the rear-view mirror, Cuba has an online health screening form you can fill out ahead of time and then they just scan the QR code. Alternative is to fill out the paperwork at customs. We noted no one with QR was swabbed.
- half had delays going through customs bc we didn’t have a destination address and the diving was foreign to them. I’d rec using G Translate to print something out saying eg “we’re here for an educational scuba diving trip; we will be staying on the boat.”
- their TSA won’t allow razors, cuticle clippers, or even tweezers coming through, so pack in your checked bag.
- my epi-pen confused them coming and going. Maybe add to your G translate paper that it’s medicine, and keep it easily accessible so they don’t tear apart your bag looking for it.
- Cuban alcohol and tobacco are forbidden for entry into U.S. at this time (since 2020). Enjoy while there. We had multiple lose their rum in Miami. ☹️

Oh, and as to tax-deductibility…We had access to print the tax-deduction letter before departure. The numbers were slightly higher than the sample letter of $3500 deductible ($3800-ish I believe?), presumably bc of inflation. It’ll be summer of 2024 before I know how the CPA/IRS deals with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom