Cuba advice bay of pigs or Varadero

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving in Varadero was poor; I wouldn't go there again. Also the rental gear was terrible.
Bay of Pigs should be much better.

I have done 6 dives in Varadero. 2 times the Russian wreck, which is the best site there. 2 times the boring Aquario, shallow, flat, boring, max 9m deep. 1 time Claraboyas 1. Bad viz, not a lot of species with fish, but ok. And Tiburones reef, also bad viz.
I would also not recommend to dive in Varadero. Have not seen any rental gear. Our boat was a fishingboat for tourists. I haven't seen any divecenter, the tanks were already on the boat and further we had to take our own equipment.
The divetime was in our case limited to 90 minutes which was ok. And the great thing was that we dove without a guide. I don't know if this is normal there. But I prefer to dive without guides. In the bay of pigs it was with a guide, but we could drain our tanks to 20 bars (also in Varadero).
They did not have enough DIN-adapters, so we got the ones from the compressor.

But diving with a divecenter in the Bay of pigs and only do 45 minute halfdives is also not my way of diving. Too short, too limited. So maybe if I had this I would be disappointed too.

Attachments

• PA260927.jpg
    PA260927.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 27
  • PA260984-3.jpg
    PA260984-3.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 27
  • PA261007.jpg
    PA261007.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 26
  • PA261068-2.jpg
    PA261068-2.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 27
  • PC081208.jpg
    PC081208.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 24
Some more pictures from Varadero.

Attachments

• PC081370.jpg
    PC081370.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 23
  • PC081415.jpg
    PC081415.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 27
  • PC081470.jpg
    PC081470.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 26
  • PC120788.jpg
    PC120788.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 32
Some pictures of the reefs in the bay of pigs. The reefs were quite healthy. Not that much fish as on Bonaire, but really nice canyons and steep walls.
who did you dive with? I really want to go to Playa Larga but it seems like there are no dive shops.

In Playa Giron is 1 divecenter, and you can dive with Lydia y Julio. They have a casa particular and do scubadiving. In Playa Larga is no divecenter anymore, but we dove with King buceo and then you must stay at his house also. Best is to communicate in Spanish. They speak some English. Everywhere in the bay of pigs you pay 25 per dive including equipment. Nightdive 40. These prices are regulated by the state. Diving is faded glory in Cuba.
But they have nice caves, so I must go back in future.

Thank you, Germie. This is a good start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom