CSSP Trip Report 071209

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kunk35

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Arrived at good 'ol CSSP at about 9:45, only about 3 minutes before Dan (Dannod1948) arrived. Went over on the East side and guess who I park next to? Alan! Man it was good to see him! Before I get into the diving I just want to say this. After hearing some of the stories of what Alan went through during his ordeal, all I could think at first is how lucky he was to be alive, but on the way home it occured to me, that I think that WE are the lucky ones.......That guy is a class act!

So the first dive was a very nice 77 minutes. Max depth 36.4ft according to the computer. How's that for accuracy? Temps started out at a toasty 86 degrees topside, to a chilly 67 at 36 ft. As usual, there is that distinct thermo between 27 and 29 feet. Brrrrrrrrrrrr. Just took a lazy swim from the steps on the east side around the north end, past the plane, then back to the steps.

After the S.I., Alan went with us on the second dive. We went for the plane, but got seperated from ricky racer, uh, I mean Dan the speed demon. He is a runner you know, and he was flexin the leg muscles. He was on a mission though, the last time I saw him before he sped into the mist he was bearing down on his compass like a duck on a bug. After I lost him, or he lost us, we went on to the boat since I new that's where we were heading, but we sort of shot by it and ended up at the old boat. Lucky for us someone had put a web of ropes between everything. (Incidentally, I mean that in a bad way. What is up with the ropes everywhere?? Don't they teach compass headings anymore?? ) That's a whole other thread though. So we get to the new boat, meet up with Dan, and continue our trek of the south end of the swamp. Nice 52 minute dive. Max depth was 28.4 ft at roughly 81 degrees average. (Didn't go below the thermal this time and this end of the lake is alot warmer, getting away from the springs I guess....)

Gotta brag on Alan again for a sec. Just watching his position in the water and his effortless finning is inspirational. The man's a fish.....

Thanks Dan and Alan for a great day of diving and chatting. Really took my mind off being without Rhonda for another week. She needs to cut her trip short and come back home......:love:

Thanks Tom, how's the back?

Getting better -- I can almost stand up without issue :) A few more days and I hope to be 100%. Let me know the next time you are headed out diving.

Had a great time regardless of the afternoon heat,,,,,anyways when in the water your nice and cool!

I really enjoyed the dive with Kory and Dan.....we had a nice relaxing swim, just wish we had sean a turtle as I saw 'several' a few weeks back.

Anyone whom has dove with Kory already knows his high skills or diving and he make a great buddy. On SI is always willing to share his snacks and in the case of yesterday-shade! Great fellow and a good friend.......I hope Rhonda gets back soon as they are a fun couple to hang out with! It was a real pleasure seeing you pull that red PU next to my car, your a joy to be around. :)

I met his buddy Dan for the first time yesterday.......I see this fellow and think what a nice guy.....friendly and polite as can be! He is a long distance runner and looks the part also. OK---- I am thinking in my mind this dude is probably in his early 50's at best......so you folks know me, I ask him his age----- 62! I liked to fallen of the tail end of my station wagon.......crap he did not look anywheres near that age. Dan is a wonderful diver and a great fellow to get to know, I hope we get to dive/chat again this season. PS- He qualified for a slot in the Masters cat. of the Boston Marathon!!

Thanks to you both for a nice Sunday, and as always I wish you safe and fun diving.

:wink:

PS--- Dang,, Tom/Illini_Fan did not know you were hurting.....hope things get better real soon!

Last edited:
PS--- Dang,, Tom/Illini_Fan did not know you were hurting.....hope things get better real soon!

Alan -- you are too kind. Just some minor back pain and nothing on the order of what you went through. I'm glad to hear you are back in the water.

Hey guys had fun, but under water that goes without saying. Yes the old dude tries to stay in shape, oh by the way it is 61 not 62, but as I have said age is just a number.

Kory, on that first dive you forgot the creature from the deep, the albino cat fish. That thing came out of the deep and cruised up pass us, first time I saw it out there.

Alan great meeting you as well and you look great for what you went through.

Let me know next time you are going out to CSSP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom