Crystal River or Devil’s Den?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hospital Hole will certainly have Manatees if the temp dips a little.
My understanding is that hospital hole requires someone to have a small boat or scooter to reach. I've been planning to dive it for years, but still not gotten around to it. Am I incorrect?

American Pro in Crystal River has an interesting dive package: you snorkel with manatees in Crystal River, then take a guided scuba tour into Kings Cavern (in Crystal River) right under the manatees. In the afternoon you drift dive (scuba or snorkel) in Rainbow River. Its a fun enough day of diving and seeing the manatees

My understanding is that hospital hole requires someone to have a small boat or scooter to reach. I've been planning to dive it for years, but still not gotten around to it. Am I incorrect?

Then rent canoes about 1000 yards from HH

Then rent canoes about 1000 yards from HH

Are you really recommending an out of tower rent a canoe to make an unguided dive at HH?

Perhaps many people would do just fine, but seems like risk/effort/benefit is a little out of whack. Is there a good place to get in/out of a canoe with dive gear? I am always surprised and how few people can track a canoe straight, let alone right one that has capsized.

Crystal River might be considered a “sucky” dive by many who have been all over NCFL, but there are advantages. A guide taking you to snorkel at Sisters, and an easy dive in King Spring can be nice. The perimeter of King, might be the most likely place to see a manatee on scuba. ...which did seem to be the OPs stated goal.

King Spring sucked when I was there in February. I only got 5' visibility, barely see my own fins. There were lots of manatees though. Three Sister is a better option with spring clear fantastic visibility water.

King Spring sucked when I was there in February. I only got 5' visibility, barely see my own fins. There were lots of manatees though. Three Sister is a better option with spring clear fantastic visibility water.

Feb was a long time ago. There are many springs where conditions swing up and down. I would certainly check with the locals when time gets close to make final plans.

It’s been a few years since my last visit to Kings Spring, But my visits were always pretty good.

Are you really recommending an out of tower rent a canoe to make an unguided dive at HH?

Perhaps many people would do just fine, but seems like risk/effort/benefit is a little out of whack. Is there a good place to get in/out of a canoe with dive gear? I am always surprised and how few people can track a canoe straight, let alone right one that has capsized.

Crystal River might be considered a “sucky” dive by many who have been all over NCFL, but there are advantages. A guide taking you to snorkel at Sisters, and an easy dive in King Spring can be nice. The perimeter of King, might be the most likely place to see a manatee on scuba. ...which did seem to be the OPs stated goal.

Yes, I am. It's all part of the adventure. My 8 year old kids could do it.

BG can be a beautiful and fun dive, if you get there when it’s not crowded. Weekdays are best, and of course NO manatees.

Well I got to admit I was wrong. When I dived BG as part of my sidemount training, Harry lit it up with his video lights and it was beautiful.

But that was a day when almost no one was diving it due to the horrible vis at the surface, and was a complete 180 difference from the previous times I dived it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!! We’ve never done a freshwater dive before (or seen manatees) so we’re really looking forward to it :)

My wife and I did DD. It was small but we went on a weekday when no one was there. It's really pretty but after 2 dives (same day) I think I've seen it and its checked off my bucket list. One of those things where you should probably do each at least once.

There all close (as someone else posted), you could do at least 2 in a day.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom