Crystal River Info???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Partially out of desperation for ANY diving other than Oklahoma lakes, time and $$ constraints, and multiple Caribbean cancelations, we booked a trip with several friends to dive Chrystal River Fl next week. I've read the posts here and the we will be doing the river, the snorkel with Manatees which includes a dive afterwards, a night dive, and Devils Den.

I researched the diving part pretty well, and I don't think we will be able to add any other dives to the package. We're staying at a nice enough hotel (Hampton Inn I think) after flying in to Tampa. There will be 18 of us in 3 vans.

I need some information about rounding out the trip, primarily places to eat (I'm fat...don't judge me...) that are really too good to miss. I'm also up for any dives I could fit in in the evenings with a local op. We're diving with American Pro, but if it means getting an extra dive or two in when I can, I'm all in.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

American Pro is ok, but I always recommend Birds Underwater. They are a little hole in the wall operation but they start earlier than the other shops if you are a morning person, and I think they spend more time with the manatees. Of course this time of year there aren't that many manatees, but either operation should be able to get you to swim with a few of them.

I've been to two good seafood places on the water, Crab Plant only takes cash, Charlies Fish House takes credit too, and there's a nice ice cream shop next-door.

Near Devils Den there is Blue Grotto, there are tons more springs in that area but area is pretty wide range, could easily be another hour driving, and I think Devils Den and Blue Grotto are the better sites for just open water diving. There aren't a lot of night dives available that are in close range of Crystal River, as far as I know.

+1 for Birds Underwater, but you will have a blast diving with the manatees regardless of the op. Devils Den can get crowded if you are there during the weekend as quite a bit of training is done during that time. It is possible to do both Blue Grotto and Devils Den in a single day as they are really close together. Williston is not really known as a Foodies Delight so good luck. We usually buy some stuff at the Winn Dixie up the road by the water tower. Have fun and be safe and if you get the time to do a report that would be appreciated.

Another +1 for Birds! I went out with them on a pre-sunrise trip in late July and I had a spectacular time. Even though I was the only person signed up, they ran a trip just for me with a fantastic captain who was a wealth of manatee knowledge.

.. primarily places to eat.....
Your group will really like " Peck's Old Port Cove " in Crystal River. It's right on the waterfront and really good food. Sunsets are group photo worthy.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom