Crystal River area recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChiDiver77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thinking about bringing my sons (11 and 14) to Crystal River area in Jan ‘20 for Manatee snorkeling and drift diving on the Rainbow River. Both are young, but competent divers with cold water, low vis diving experience as well as experience in fresh and salt water.

It is important to us that the charter we use is respectful of the animals. In researching on this board, I have seen negative reviews of some of the operators, though they were several years old and I recognize that staff and approach can change.

Have seen than some dive centers offer a Manatee Awareness certification. Appreciate any thoughts with that experience as well. Full disclosure, 11 yr old has read everything he can find on Manatees since he could read - so the certification is more of an ‘accomplishment’ than expectation of learning.

Appreciate recommendations on charter operators as well as any other dive sites we should consider (neither ready for 50+ ft or overhead enviro).

Thanks!

following for same reasons. 11 yo looking for same dive recommendations.

Try Birds Underwater, if not the best, they are damn close to it. I was very impressed.

Michael

+1 for Birds Underwater. Used them several years ago with my boys and they were very professional. Have fun and post a report if you go.

Byrds underwater is my favorite down there.

We are also thinking of a January 2020 trip - all adults in our group - two very new divers. I'm reading and see that some say the snorkel with manatees is not very good - but I've also read that sometimes the manatees are scared away with scuba bubbles - would love to hear everyone's thoughts on that.
Also - anyone have any recommendations of where to stay in the Crystal River area?

When I did the dive into Kings spring, they didn't seemed bothered. You can't scuba with them anyway, unless you're entering or leaving the cavern. You can swim slowly out of the cavern, but really only get a minute or three to watch them on scuba. Its magical to do so, but a very short period of time

Hi! I will be visiting crystal river in Jan 11-14 and I am looking for dive buddies! I will be bringing my friend who will do her ow on Jan 11-12 so I am alone on those two days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom