Cruise ship diving- recommend operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can anyone recommend a good dive operator that will work with cruise ship passengers? We port in Belize City.

I am currently scheduled to dive in Cozumel, but wanted to add another port- either Belize or Roatan I think.

We are a little wary of diving in Belize due to the need for tendering, which makes the schedule a bit less predictable. Right now we plan on going cave tubing.

How is the diving in Belize for absolute beginners? (By this point we'll have done OW cert, and two tanks in Cozumel the day before).

Thanks for the recommendation!

Sea Sports Belize is right down the sidewalk from "Tourism Village," which is where you will land in Belize City. Cruise ship passengers are a big part of their business.

Belize is a great spot for beginners as it's very easy diving for the most part. Warm water, calm seas, good visibility, not much current. Be sure to check your ego and let them know you're new at this--we were all new at this once upon a time--and I'm sure they'll take good care of you.

Be sure to check your ego and let them know you're new at this--we were all new at this once upon a time--and I'm sure they'll take good care of you.

Don't worry- I have no ego about this at all. At this point, I know I know nothing! The operator we booked with in Cozumel knows we aren't even certified yet. Once we get through the class, I'll email her with more specifics about what our limitations might be... Right now I'm not even sure the right questions to ask.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into them.

A recent thread here about it: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/392974-diving-belize-off-cruise-ship.html - the cruise operator will pick you up off the ship instead of having to tender in - so that might be convenient. It's Hugh Parkey's Welcome to Hugh Parkey's Belize Adventures

I had read that thread, which recommend using the ship excursion .Right now, our ship is not offering any certified dives as excursions, just Discover SCUBA. They can't pick up at the ship if it isn't ship sponsored. But I will look into that dive operator.

You may pay an extra buck or two going with Hugh (did that cruise twice), but IMHO it is well worth it to skip the tendering and to step from the ship to the dive boat instead.

I definitely recommend Sea Sports. John and Linda Searle are fantastic to work with. They are professional and attentive. Their shop is a safe five minute walk from Tourism Village. Hugh Parkey's is hit or miss I believe on service. Also check out Trip Advisor: Sea Sports, Belize City, and you get some good impressions especially from folk who are on Cruises. You can also check out Sea Sports Belize on Facebook.

You may pay an extra buck or two going with Hugh (did that cruise twice), but IMHO it is well worth it to skip the tendering and to step from the ship to the dive boat instead.

Unfortunately, as of right now, my ship is only offering Discover SCUBA, no certified dives. Skipping tendering won't be an option. They can't pick up at the ship unless it is a ship excursion.

I'm looking into Sea Sports- diving appears to be expensive in Belize, so I may just stick with Costa Maya + Cozumel and just go cave tubing.

I would recommend doing your diving in Roatan; it's a long way from Belize City to the good reefs, but very close in Roatan.

Back
Top Bottom