Cruise Diving: Cozumel & Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azspecter

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys-
We are taking a cruise at the Beginning of June (hitting Jamaica, Cozumel and Grand Cayman). We're planning on diving Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I'm looking for some advice here on booking the trips. I WILL NOT (unless I have to) book through the Cruise Line (Carnival). I have found that with soo many people on one trip, you end up getting a lesser dive trying to accomodate everyone, plus it's more expensive, less personal, etc. So we always try to book outside of the cruise lines.

With that said- I've had difficulty in the past with that- as many, if not ALL, dive shops on an island have contracts with the cruise lines that they will not allow you to book directly with them. This sucks as it forces you to book w/ the Cruise Lines. Uggghhhh. So, I'd REALLY prefer to book direct, if at all possible.

I doze once in Cozumel- we did a wall/drift dive and it was AMAZING. Absolutely the best dive I've ever done. I'd LOVE to do that dive again with my group (5 of us), but have no clue the name of the Dive Shop we went through previously. Can anyone recommend a dive shop who will take care of us, and NOT have restrictions with the Cruise Lines?

Likewise- I've NEVER dove in Grand Cayman before, I hear it's incredible. Same thing- any advice on a GOOD dive shop there who won't restrict us to booking through the Cruise Line?

Lastly- when doing it this way... do they require a deposit up front? Here's my concerns... I've tried to go to Grand Cayman TWICE on cruises before- but the port was canceled due to bad weather. I'd hate to lose my deposit if this happens. Likewise, I'd hate to get off the ship, take a cab to the dive shop- only to find out that they already went out with another group, or are closed for the day or whatever. How do you go about booking directly and avoid all this? We always had a friend do this for us, so I have no idea how it's done.

Thanks for all the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom