Crotch strap on drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mndiv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys, quick question. I recently purchased my first drysuit, a custom sized USIA aqua sport and my only worry is that there is a lot of extra material around the crotch, meaning I have to pull up my suit occasionally. As a bcd I have the mares icon.

my question is would it make sense to attach a crotch strap(like the one offered by dris) to the bcd to keep the suit up or is that a wrong application?

Thanks for the input!

Congratulations on your new drysuit! My USIA is about fifteen years old and has hundreds of dives- I thought it would only last a few years, but it's been great!

I use mine with a wing with a crotch strap, and it's never been a problem. But then, the torso on my suit fits quite well.

As you know, in a shell suit you manage a bubble of air. So it's a bit of a concern if your suit has lots of room to slosh around. If a crotch strap holds the suit in place, I would think it would be a big improvement.

Dive safe and stay warm!

Do you not have suspenders?

If you have (or add) a crotch strap on your BC then it can't help but keep you drysuit crotch from sagging and I don't see any big downside.

Some suits like our DUIs have an elastic crotch strap to restrain the telescopic torso material and suspenders to hold the hips up, Being elastic it has some give when you bend over.

The only note of caution about the strap is suit chafing as you walk and swim, for that we have the cloverleaf patch in the crotch to take the wear. Most suits don't have this feature and even this it's not a widespread problem.

Pete

Hey guys, quick question. I recently purchased my first drysuit, a custom sized USIA aqua sport and my only worry is that there is a lot of extra material around the crotch, meaning I have to pull up my suit occasionally. As a bcd I have the mares icon.

my question is would it make sense to attach a crotch strap(like the one offered by dris) to the bcd to keep the suit up or is that a wrong application?

Thanks for the input!

My first thought when I read this is "why did he buy a suit that doesn't fit".... but you said it was custom cut so I'm going to have to assume since I can't see you in it, that it does fit.

When I have a student who doesn't quite fit into one of the shop's rental suits I tell them to cinch the weightbelt up tight and pull the extra material up over the belt. If you're using integrated weights you can still do the same with an empty weightbelt.

If the problem is that you are ... er ... big around the middle and the bottom part of the suit sags a bit as a result then you can try the weightbelt thing but might have more luck with suspenders.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom