Crotch strap for BP/W......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm wondering specifically about strap thickness, what most people prefer,and why. It's been decades since I sold my dive rite rig,and cant recall what I used at the time, but I suspect it was a 2in width.
Now I'm leaning towards the thinnest 1in width, and I'm wondering if there are any reasons to avoid this and go with the thicker 1.5 or 2" straps.

Divers that use DPV's seem to prefer 2". One of my plates has 1.5" and the plate I normally use has a 1" strap.

For reference, I use the 1" strap with steel tanks and trilam drysuit.

DW

I'm wondering if there are any reasons to avoid this and go with the thicker 1.5 or 2" straps.

Yes to the 2" strap provided it is very pliant, like a seat-belt, so that it will bend in the middle (length-wise, like a roof rounded over at the peak, say) and cause no abrasion to the suit.

Yes to the 2" strap provided it is very pliant, like a seat-belt, so that it will bend in the middle (length-wise, like a roof rounded over at the peak, say) and cause no abrasion to the suit.

That’s why I went with a 1.5”. I didn’t see any 2” at the time that weren’t fairly rigid. I do a fair amount of walking in mine (shore diving), so I didn’t want to risk screwing up my wetsuit.

When scootering I prefer to spread out the pressure on my nads over 2 inches of strap rather than 1.
If it's a rigid strap it will be a pain as divad says though, my current Halcyon straps don't give me any issues.

I have a 1" and a 2" on two different BPs. When I get off my rear end, I will replace the 1" strap with a 2". The 1" strap uses a plastic buckle to attach and I would prefer the "loop" of the 2".

The stiff one I refered to was "made" by me using a tri-glide in the front instead of sewing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom