Cronulla, Australia for wedding & diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schil

Reaction score
I'm sure I have come to the right place for info.

I will be in Cronulla, NSW in mid to the end of December,2004 for my daughters wedding(yes to an Aussie & a great guy and yes my wife and I are very happy). I am an American and live in New York metro area.

I will not be able to go far from this area on this trip. Can probably go 2-3 hours North or South(I may have trouble driving on the wrong side of the road). My daughter and my future son in law do not have a car.
Can you make suggestions for boat diving or shore diving in the area. I will be bringing my own equipment(except for tanks). I have a full 3MM suit would it be okay or should I get a skin? Would you know of someone that I can buddy up with for weekday dives?

Thanks,

Howard

Hi Howard,

Though I live in Sydney thus far all my diving has been in the tropics. I know there is a good Grey Nurse shark dive at Maroubra (which is only 30 minutes drive from Cronulla). I've checked this guy's site out before and it seems a fairly comprehensive round up on local (Sydney and beyond) dive options.

http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/

Thanks for the info, I just checked out his web site - lots to see.
One more question.
Can i get away with a 3mil full wet suit or do I need something lighter?

Thanks again,

Howard

rimski:
Hi Howard,

Though I live in Sydney thus far all my diving has been in the tropics. I know there is a good Grey Nurse shark dive at Maroubra (which is only 30 minutes drive from Cronulla). I've checked this guy's site out before and it seems a fairly comprehensive round up on local (Sydney and beyond) dive options.

http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.info/

schil:
I'm sure I have come to the right place for info.

I will be in Cronulla, NSW in mid to the end of December,2004 for my daughters wedding(yes to an Aussie & a great guy and yes my wife and I are very happy). I am an American and live in New York metro area.

I will not be able to go far from this area on this trip. Can probably go 2-3 hours North or South(I may have trouble driving on the wrong side of the road). My daughter and my future son in law do not have a car.
Can you make suggestions for boat diving or shore diving in the area. I will be bringing my own equipment(except for tanks). I have a full 3MM suit would it be okay or should I get a skin? Would you know of someone that I can buddy up with for weekday dives?

Thanks,

Howard

I just posted this thread five minutes ago,( copy attached below this pharagraph 4 u) Boy are u a lucky Guy, Yr daughter getting married AND to an Aussie. Congrats Dad and hope the wedding goes fantasticially. I dive most Saturdays with my dive buddy, (hes a Master dive instructor). Let us know when your here as there is some fantastic dives 30-45 minutes from Cronulla that we dive, PLUS some great dives around Crounulla itself. Get the book, it'll help heaps.
(ps where abouts in NY? My brother ilives in Connecicut)

cheers.

Fantastic Aust dive book, any one got it?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Still a newbie, 25 dives.

Went to get an airfill couple of months ago and my local dive shop had this new dive location book called "Atlas of Australian dive sites". Its a great read. I have dived quite a few of the sydney locations as per the book. Great dives with heaps to see. This book seems to have the best of Dive sites across Australia. When i got my ow licence i bought up all the books i could find, mostly by "Tom Byron". Toms books were OK but pretty old and outdated plus B&W. This new book has some amasing pics and great instruction of when, where, how and why. Plus its new, published late 2003.. Anyone else got this book?

schil:
Thanks for the info, I just checked out his web site - lots to see.
One more question.
Can i get away with a 3mil full wet suit or do I need something lighter?

Thanks again,

Howard

You won't want lighter.. I wear 5mm all year round..

Thanks Fitzy, the wedding is on Dec 19,2004. I will be arriving on the 17th.
My future son-in-law is a great guy and great for my daughter. My wife and I have gotten used to the distance, but we have not made the trip yet!
I am just south of the CT border about 20 minutes, near New Rochelle, NY. He should know where it is.
I appreciate the info and would be very happy to dive with you if your able to. My email is below.

Howard

divhs@yahoo.com

Fitzy:
I just posted this thread five minutes ago,( copy attached below this pharagraph 4 u) Boy are u a lucky Guy, Yr daughter getting married AND to an Aussie. Congrats Dad and hope the wedding goes fantasticially. I dive most Saturdays with my dive buddy, (hes a Master dive instructor). Let us know when your here as there is some fantastic dives 30-45 minutes from Cronulla that we dive, PLUS some great dives around Crounulla itself. Get the book, it'll help heaps.
(ps where abouts in NY? My brother ilives in Connecicut)

cheers.

Fantastic Aust dive book, any one got it?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Still a newbie, 25 dives.

Went to get an airfill couple of months ago and my local dive shop had this new dive location book called "Atlas of Australian dive sites". Its a great read. I have dived quite a few of the sydney locations as per the book. Great dives with heaps to see. This book seems to have the best of Dive sites across Australia. When i got my ow licence i bought up all the books i could find, mostly by "Tom Byron". Toms books were OK but pretty old and outdated plus B&W. This new book has some amasing pics and great instruction of when, where, how and why. Plus its new, published late 2003.. Anyone else got this book?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom