Crimping LP hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fibonacci

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've got a vintage Poseidon Cyklon 300 reg that needs a new LP hose.
These originally had a G1/8" port that sealed with a plastic washer vs an o-ring, the LP hose had a non-standard M14x1.25mm connector to the all-metal second stage.
The original hoses are rigid and cracked but the connectors are still in very good condition... on a hunch I cut off the crimped metal ferrule to reveal a fairly standard corrugated spigot.
The G1/8" style hoses have been unavailable for years, while you can get a G1/8" to modern 3/8" UNF LP hose adaptor it would be better to have the hoses in original configuration as the Cyklons still use the non-standard connector at the other end.
Just wondering if an industrial hydraulic or air hose place could recrimp these connectors onto a length of standard new LP hose?
Anyone done something similar?

Attachments

• Cyklon crimped hose end.jpeg
    Cyklon crimped hose end.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Cyklon spigot end.jpeg
    Cyklon spigot end.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 66
These originally had a G1/8" port that sealed with a plastic washer vs an o-ring, the LP hose had a non-standard M14x1.25mm connector to the all-metal second stage.
The original hoses are rigid and cracked but the connectors are still in very good condition... on a hunch I cut off the crimped metal ferrule to reveal a fairly standard corrugated spigot.
The G1/8" style hoses have been unavailable for years, while you can get a G1/8" to modern 3/8" UNF LP hose adaptor it would be better to have the hoses in original configuration as the Cyklons still use the non-standard connector at the other end.
Just wondering if an industrial hydraulic or air hose place could recrimp these connectors onto a length of standard new LP hose?
I was not able to find replacements for my Cyklon 300 regulator hoses I bought back in 77. I upgraded to the 5000's then to the XStream. I personally would not try and get anyone to "Recrimp" the connectors.

But double check here, see if they work on vintage gear:

What's the advantage of keeping it G1/8? The adapters are basically failsafe if you don't disassemble reassemble all the time.

I have really old spirotechnique single hoses with a weird metric ending as well, which I've tried to get crimped by a hydraulic center and they wouldn't do it out of liability etc;

You could do it yourself pretty easily though. a hydraulic hose crimping tool doesn't cost the world. If you wanna go super cheap (which I wouldn't recommend since it's still life support equipment) you could even get an 100 dollar benchtop crimping rig from aliexpress.

I have done this for several older Poseidon hoses for both modern 3/8" and oem.
One thing to consider is the OD of the Poseidon barbed fitting is slightly larger than modern barbs resulting in it being a PITA. Keep in mind you are stretching the new hose more than usual which is hard enough, but the new ferrule will not want to slip over the outside of the new hose because of this.
At the time I made these I didn't have a lathe, but turning them down slightly would help.

I have done this for several older Poseidon hoses for both modern 3/8" and oem.
One thing to consider is the OD of the Poseidon barbed fitting is slightly larger than modern barbs resulting in it being a PITA. Keep in mind you are stretching the new hose more than usual which is hard enough, but the new ferrule will not want to slip over the outside of the new hose because of this.
At the time I made these I didn't have a lathe, but turning them down slightly would help.
Thanks for the heads-up, I think I need to find a hose crimping device like @Joris Vd suggests.
Gumtree search...!
Trouble with the G1/8" adaptors is they work fine if attaching a standard 3/8" UNF LP hose to an older first stage and then to a Jetstream second that also has a 9/16" x18 adaptor vs the OEM integrated OPV hose.
The Cyklon uses the M14 thread, and seems no-one has yet made an adaptor... so you still need to buy a Poseidon hose with the M14 end to connect the Cyklon second stage.
Maybe the issue is the Poseidon barbed fitting was originally designed for Metric sized hoses vs Imperial sizes that now seem standard for the SCUBA industry?
Australia officially adopted the Metric system in July 1974, but there is still a wide range of both types of fittings and hoses available.

Thanks for the heads-up, I think I need to find a hose crimping device like @Joris Vd suggests.
Gumtree search...!
Trouble with the G1/8" adaptors is they work fine if attaching a standard 3/8" UNF LP hose to an older first stage and then to a Jetstream second that also has a 9/16" x18 adaptor vs the OEM integrated OPV hose.
The Cyklon uses the M14 thread, and seems no-one has yet made an adaptor... so you still need to buy a Poseidon hose with the M14 end to connect the Cyklon second stage.
Maybe the issue is the Poseidon barbed fitting was originally designed for Metric sized hoses vs Imperial sizes that now seem standard for the SCUBA industry?
Australia officially adopted the Metric system in July 1974, but there is still a wide range of both types of fittings and hoses available.

I might be misunderstanding you: but this is what I've used on my cyklons before I retired them.

OmniSwivel LP 2nd Stage Hose Adapter: Poseidon Cyklon M = 9/16-Inch F

This is a standard hose to m14 adapter. They also exist in 90 degree angles if you prefer that type of deal.

@Joris Vd sorry should have explained myself better... that adaptor allows a Poseidon Cyklon M14 hose to accept a standard 9/16" regulator connection
There IS actually the one I need at DGE which allows a Cyklon to accept a standard LP hose... so thanks for the link!

Three issues:
Old style regs and new hoses:
I'll find Salt Blue part number

Standard hose vs silly Poseidon diameter at the 2nd stage end for Jetstream or XStream.
And regular hose to silly Poseidon diameter for Cyklon.
Nothing inexpensive. But that's Poseidon...

Take a look at this trhread :

You may find the thread linked below helpful:

Back
Top Bottom