Crete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm doing my Underwater Photography qualification (INON Level 1), I've done my two classroom lesson, just got to do my pool session.
I'm going to Hersonissos, Crete next month. Just wondering if you know any diving centers? and whats the Underwater life like there? what could i find?

Thanks

Last edited:
I live in Heraklion in Crete, near Hersonissos. There are some diving centers. You can check my signature if you like, but I know of some other centers also. What kind of diving do you like? Reefs here are the typical Meditteranean ones. Not many big fishes around, but the terrain is good.

any dive really. but moree reefs and little underwater creatures LOL thankss x

Also curious as I am planning diving there this summer as well. Is the site in your sig a shop or is it a reference site? There were no prices.

nikos81, tell them about the caves by the navy seals base, Is Adermis still around he is the guide I used when there, and let them no the way to the restraunt up the hill where they have all the animals up there you eat, and grapple. and stop by the water where they worked on the fishing boats like in the 1400's I think, carlos had a bar in one of them and UZZO.

Have a great time diving there it is a great place to dive and it does have great night life.

Happy Diving

@ndemeis It is the diving club where I was a student and a regular costumer. It says somewhere that you can contact them for prices. What time of year are you coming here?
@VoodooGas Man are you talking about Chania? Because I live in Heraklion. It has a good nightlife though :0)

Sigh... it's been 43 years since I dove Crete and back then it was all free diving. Loved the island and the country and hope to come back some day. My island is very similar in climate and vegetation... and we even have ouzo (I told one of the liquor store owners to buy a case and if there was any left after a year, I'd buy what was left. They've had it in stock ever since).

Things have changed ever since drbill. Now you can scuba dive practically everywhere in Greece and of course in Crete. I just came back from a night dive. We saw lots of things not to be seen during a day dive. It was fun. And Crete usually offers raki and not ouzo. Ouzo is brought from North Greece. But raki is very similar to ouzo

I attended a conference in Crete in June 2007 and spent a nice week in the evenings diving with Diver's Club in Agia Pelagia. They had a boat right in front of the shop (see pics of shop from the beach and charter boat) and would go out even when it was just me and a DM. The shop had a large international seasonal staff as well.

It is true that the fish were rather small but the topography was beautiful and the water temperatures in the range of 80 F at the surface to lows around 68-70 F at 100' depth. There were a number of cavern swim throughs and areas with old amphorae pieces spread about.

DvrsClub062707.jpg DvrsBoat062707.jpg

Things have changed ever since drbill. Now you can scuba dive practically everywhere in Greece and of course in Crete. I just came back from a night dive. We saw lots of things not to be seen during a day dive. It was fun. And Crete usually offers raki and not ouzo. Ouzo is brought from North Greece. But raki is very similar to ouzo

True on the raki, but I preferred the taste of ouzo. I do hope to get back to that beautiful island and really dive it. Would also love to return to Rhodos. I was there in 1968 and apparently there had been an attempt on the life of Georgios Papadopoulos, so he was being driven around the country to show he was still alive as I understood it. I have never forgotten my month in Greece.

Back
Top Bottom