Cressi Newton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Efka76

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently me and my wife bought Cressi Newton diving computers. When I was looking at various reviews I could not find a lot of information about this diving computer. Accordingly, I wanted to share my personal experience with it. After one week in Thailand and 20 dives my impression about this diving computer is the following:

Cressi Newton is one of the newest dive computers in Cressi dive computer line. It's fiunctions are virtually the same as Cressi Giotto, but Newton is much smaller in size and can be used as watch. Design and size are really good, computer comfortably sits on a wrist.

Navigation in computer menu is not very convenient and it takes few moments to get used to it. After some time I got used to it.

Computer can be used in Air/Nitrox/Gauge modes. When you dive you can select dive mode or computer automatically switches to dive mode when you reach certain depth (i think it is 1.5 m but need to check manual). In few dives when i did giant stride in the water computer switched on and recorded it as separate dive (depth 1.5 m, dive time 0 min.), which i did not like as you can not delete it manually. It spoiled my diving statistics :)

Computer has all standard features that you expect from entry level computer such us maximum depth, current depth, alarms related to oxygen toxicity, descent rate, maximum depth, planning mode, altitude adjustment, etc. Underwater it is easy to use. If alarms are activated you can see on screen and hear beeps.

Also, it is possible to download data to your computer by using Cressi PC software (you have to buy additional connector to PC in order to do that). This software allows you to analyse your dive profile, to see where and which alarms were activated.

For electronic logbook storage I use Diviac log book where you can automatically download data directly from diving computer. I like diviac as you can access it everywhere. Also, it has a large fish identification database and it is very convenient to map fishes that you saw during your dive.

Maximum depth limit for this computer (in gauge mode) is 150 m. Also, it's battery is user replaceable.

Our divemaster had Suunto D4i dive computer and we constantly checked our maximum depth limits. For the first dive maximum depth in Cressi Newton and Suunto D4i was the same. for repetitive dives if we looked at planning mode (e.g. enter maximum depth) Cressi gave a few minutes longer bottom time than Suunto. Accordingly, i made a conclusion that Cressi Newton algorithm is a bit more liberal (for repetitive dives) than Suunto.

I paid for this diving computer USD 265, which is a very good price for computer with such functionality. I definitely recommend this computer for recreational divers. I hope that in my further dives computer will function the same as during my first 20 dives.

I also have the Newton and have 181 dives on it. I bought it as an 'alternate' to the Leonardo that I first bought in a starter bundle.

It seems to be a lot more conservative than the Leonardo, and I'm assuming there must be a difference in the settings although I haven't found that yet! I'm thinking of doing a factory reset on both of them.

The first Newton I bought had a faulty backlight (i.e. none). My dealer replaced it, but the backlight still is not right, as the dial is illegible when it's activated.

Also, I'm skeptical about the altitude indicator but don't really understand how it's supposed to work as the owner's manual is pretty much incomprehensible ...

It's a lovely watch though :wink:

It seems to be a lot more conservative than the Leonardo

Are you sure about this? My first computer was a Leonardo too - and I have noticed its' "high" conservatism especially after the 2nd consecutive dive. A year ago I fount a very good deal for a practically new Newton. I bought it and sold my Leonardo. I haven't compared them directly on the same dives but I haven't noticed any major difference on their conservatism - I think they run exactly the same algorithm.

Maybe you've set your Newton to Safety Factor (SF) to something other than the default (zero)?

One thing I don't like about Newton (and Leonardo) is this: Ascent rate indications of one dot (4-7.9meters per minute - lower than the maximum "safe" ascent rate) and two dots (8-11.9 meters per minute - which is considered the "optimal" ascent rate) are both reported as warnings - same as the "too fast" three dots (12+ meters per minute). It use to give me the false sense that even one dot ascents are to be avoided. Also it makes graphs on software like subsurface full of warning signs. You can disable it but that would disable all ascent warnings (be it one, two, or three dots). I am not sure though who to blame for this Cressi or Subsurface?

Also I remember that Leonardo has very sensitive ascent rate alarm - an upwards motion of the hand was enough to activate the beep - beep alarm. Apart from disturbing it was creating a bad habit of ignoring the computer's alarm.
With Newton I don't have this any more. It might be that the alarm is less sensitive or that after 50 or so dives I am much more careful with my hand movements.

I found the problem and of course it was 'operator error'. I somehow set the altitude setting to "one mountain" (700 to 1,500 m) in the Dive Settings menu. After correcting this it now displays essentially the same info as the Leonardo.

:facepalm:

Curious if anyone else has the backlight problem?
Mine works fine. Here is an example
hKXKU7AQzMzHv7q39

Last edited:
Grrr I can't attach the image. Anyway backlight works fine in my Newton.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom